Early csl questions - petri / alpina / scheel

classicman

Reaction score
Hi

My csl is an early carburettored (2211552) car and I am collecting spares for its restoration. I am getting mixed reports on the following:

Did the early cars have the 380mm Petri steering wheel or the Alpina one? I have always believed that the Petri was the only wheel on a csl, but I have come across a report that suggests that the early cars had Alpina steering wheels.

With regard the Alpina 14x7 Rims. I have come across some information that the wheels on the early cars were not stamped Alpina, but had BMW markings instead. Any truth to this? I have a set of 14x7's and they have no distinguishable markings. These particular wheels did not come with my car, I bought them afterwards.

My car came with a Scheel seat in it that differs from most I have seen. As these were never freely available in South Africa, if the car was not fitted with this originally, I can only guess that it was refitted in Europe before the car was exported.

Lastly, does the kidney grill on the csl have 4 or 5 vertical slats? Again some reports suggest that all M cars have 4 slats, but the early cars were pulled off the cs production line and should therefore have 5 slats like the cs.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

cslparts002.jpg

cslparts003.jpg

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi there,

For the early carb ones, (pls correct me if I'm wrong):

- Alpina steering wheel in black satin

- The rims on the pic are newer ones. Originally on CSL, only with 5 holes (no additional aligment holes). At least on the injection CSLs, they were stamped "Alpina".

- Not the correct Scheels. Shld be Model 100, like this:

http://www.nml-depot.de/nmldepot006.htm

- Kidney with 5 vertical slats/bars

I hope it helps

Cheers

Henric

Last edited:

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Henric. Is the Alpina Steering wheel also 380cm?

Not quite that big. :smile: It was 38cm.

Pic from an early CSL factory sales brochure. Note the Alpina road wheel without the alignment holes.
CSL-1.jpg

Last edited:

RogerB

Reaction score
I would love to have one of those Alpina steering wheels as shown in the brochure for my early FI CSL. A few years ago, someone on here (I won't say who) promised to get me one after he decided not to sell me his; but this never happened.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
The "CSL steering wheel saga" - the early days

I think the "CSL steering wheel saga" goes in line with the usual CSL "harmonisation".

Most of the carbs were, most likely, equipped (from factory) with the black Alpina steering wheel. At least up to VIN 2212442.

The sales brochure, provided by Bert above, shows two different carb CSLs (Inka M-SE 1836 and Golf M-AH 1076). The interior-shot is from the Inka. But the wheel-photo is from Jochen Neerpash's "Dienst Wagen/company car" in Golf. Both cars are carb CSLs and have the black Alpina steering wheel. The Golf has the "normal" Alpina 7x14 rims. So far, so good.

However, in the earlier CSL sales Brochure, where only one car appear (the Inka M-SE 1836), there is another steering wheel on the interior-photo. Namely, a non Alpina one in black satin with three holes (instead of two for the Alpina one). The rims, on that Inka, are the earlier Alpina split ones in black.

As usual, more confusion can be added. How about this;

the very first RHD (2285001 in Ceylon) had an Alpina style steering wheel in alu. Next car, 2285002 had the "normal" Petri one. 2285004 had the big 2800CS one. As a grand finale in the "CSL steering wheel saga", the BMW UK press car (CSL with reg no NUC 20L) had ...surprise, surprise - the Alpina steering wheel in Black satin!

Again, mix & match during the happy 70s!

Cheers

Henric

Last edited:

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, but I will not be long in the forum.
The rims are Alpina 14, with embossed logo, the kidney has 4 black slats, the steering wheel is 380 Alpina with 3 spokes with the Alpina brand in the breed at 6 o'clock at the bottom. my 2212442 was always like this . Sorry for my bad english

Attachments

• IMG_4248.JPG
    IMG_4248.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    739.3 KB · Views: 516
  • 20161001_131348.jpg
    20161001_131348.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 526
  • 20161001_130947.jpg
    20161001_130947.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_3669.JPG
    IMG_3669.JPG
    522.1 KB · Views: 542
  • 20161001_131348.jpg
    20161001_131348.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_4248.JPG
    IMG_4248.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_4015.JPG
    IMG_4015.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 517

giannicsl

Reaction score
Ciao a tutti....
Il doppio rene anteriore sulle csL è solo con 5 listelli in nero alluminio
I volanti alpina erano standard su carburatori ed opzionale su prime serie 2275xxx molto costoso
Stessa cosa valeva per i cerchi alpina scomponibili già costosi più del doppio all'epoca rispetto a standard alpina 7x14

Il cliente ricco chiedeva....
Mamma bmw lo accontentava

Naso csL.era più leggero
Ed aveva in versione corsa molto spesso buchi più larghi per mancanza del pararaurti anteriore....
Non erano esclusi come nel mio caso
Pacchetto corsa
Quindi senza paraurti anteriore
Con naso con buchi più piccoli.....
,la anomalia era avere pacchetto corsa con predisposizione per l'alloggio paraurti anteriore...
Molto strano

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ciao a tutti....
Il doppio rene anteriore sulle csL è solo con 5 listelli in nero alluminio
I volanti alpina erano standard su carburatori ed opzionale su prime serie 2275xxx molto costoso
Stessa cosa valeva per i cerchi alpina scomponibili già costosi più del doppio all'epoca rispetto a standard alpina 7x14

Il cliente ricco chiedeva....
Mamma bmw lo accontentava

Naso csL.era più leggero
Ed aveva in versione corsa molto spesso buchi più larghi per mancanza del pararaurti anteriore....
Non erano esclusi come nel mio caso
Pacchetto corsa
Quindi senza paraurti anteriore
Con naso con buchi più piccoli.....
,la anomalia era avere pacchetto corsa con predisposizione per l'alloggio paraurti anteriore...
Molto strano

@giannicsl
ezin det ulertu zuk idatzi dezuna
mesedez erabili ingelesa eta horrela danok egongo gara ulertzeko modun
mila esker

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello everyone ... The double front kidney on the CSL is only with 5 strips in black aluminum Alpine steering wheels were standard on carburetors and optional on very expensive 2275xxx series The same thing was true for the dismantling alpine rims already more expensive than double at the time compared to the Alpine standard 7x14 The rich client asked ... Mom bmw satisfied him Lighter nose csL.era And it had in race version very often wider holes for lack of front bumper. They were not excluded as in my case Travel package So without front bumper With nose with smaller holes ..... , the anomaly was to have a travel package with provision for the front bumper housing ... Very strange

Last edited:

giannicsl

Reaction score
@giannicsl
ezin det ulertu zuk idatzi dezuna
mesedez erabili ingelesa eta horrela danok egongo gara ulertzeko modun
mila esker

Amico mio io non sono basco
Sono italiano
Io scrivo in inglese su questo forum, ma è il mio scritto in automatico ritorna in lingua italiana
Chiedo scusa
Eviterò di scrivere

giannicsl

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Markos, post: 254615, membro: 28813"] [/ QUOTE]
Hi everyone ....
The double front kidney on the CSL is only with 5 black aluminum strips
Alpine steering wheels were standard on carburetors publishers on the first series 2275xxx very expensive
The same thing was true for the dismantled alpine rims already more expensive than double at the time RESPECT an alpine standard 7x14

The Rich Customer asked ....
Mom bmw satisfied him

Naso csL.era Lighter
And AVEVA in race version very often wider holes due to lack of front bumper.
they were not excluded to come in my case
Travel package
So without front bumper
With nose with smaller holes .....
, the anomaly was Avere Run Package with Predisposition for front bumper housing ...
Very strange