E9 subframe interchange-abilty

Ohio Jon

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the rear subframe from a E12/E24 will work in an E9? Realoem.com shows different part #'s. Previous owner claimed it is an E24 rear end, but it has E9 trailing arms. Maybe he was just referring to the diff. Just trying to verify if this is possible. Anyone have a rear subframe for an E9?

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I expect they will be and this is what I have planned for my 2800cs. I measured the mounting points and they match. The diff mount etc is all the same. I am not sure then why the part numbers are different. Maybe it is just supercession with improved welding who knows. So if the previous owner put in the E24 "rear end" but kept E9 trailing arms, then what makes the difference and why bother I wonder. The reason I want to do so is to have rear discs. I am yet to measure the engine subframe because I have one of those from an E12-based E24 and with that want to have the stronger anti rollbar. My concern is that the suspension legs will generate positive camber so will have to see how that all lines up when the day comes.

Oh and yes, my parts car has the subframe in it but I will be retaining the trailing arms. The subframe will be up for grabs though.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The e12 will fit. I believe e24 will if it is an early car. The e12 subframe is a little more robust than the 3.0cs subframe with better reinforcement. The 3.0cs subframe is also more robust than the 2800 subframe.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
The subframe had higher mounting points (shorter mounting ears) for the trailing arms until 05/71 which made the cars sit lower with the same amount of camber compared with the later cars. If you fit a 05/71 or later subframe and dito springs to an eraly car, the car will sit higher without any noticeable change in camber.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the rear subframe from a E12/E24 will work in an E9? Realoem.com shows different part #'s. Previous owner claimed it is an E24 rear end, but it has E9 trailing arms. Maybe he was just referring to the diff. Just trying to verify if this is possible. Anyone have a rear subframe for an E9?

To me saying "rear end" means "differential" and has nothing to do with the rear subframe. Not that yours hasn't been swapped.