e9 brake upgrade/ smallest master cylinder bore?

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi gents, i have deleted my brake boosters, and am running standard brakes with a standard 22.2 mm master cylinder.... i need reduce the size of the master cylinder bore, and/ or increase the size of the brake pads /calipers / rotors to get the right pedal feel/resistance, as it is a very firm pedal, as you would expect...

A few questions...

1- There is a formula used to determine the correct master bore ratio, compared to brake system dimensions, does anyone know where I can get info on this formula?

2- does anyone have the standard E9 brake system dimensions that are needed to calculate the optimum bore size to run on the master, for a non booster system, using the above magic formula...

3- What is the smallest bore master cylinder that is a bolt on for the e9, and / or has anyone one ever re sleeved the standard master, for a custom machined smaller bore piston...

4- if i must upgrade the brake size also (owing to the required master bore being too small for practical purposes) , has anyone had experience with the wilwood kits, or are there BMW retro fits that bolt on (i have 16 inch alpinas on the car).

thanks all for you help...