E3 Gas Tank Removal Question

brbrian

Reaction score
I am in the process of removing the gas tank from my '72 Bavaria. It's almost out but I can't figure out how to free the filler neck. It is held pretty firmly in place by the tight-fitting rubber gasket. Does the gasket have to come out or will the neck slide through if I jostle the whole tank enough, and in the right direction? Thank in advance for any help.

brbrian

Reaction score
Figured it out! Indeed, the gasket had to come out in order to free the neck. Now the challenge may be putting in the "new" tank while managing to seat the gasket.

brbrian

Reaction score
The problem with pictures is that it forces me to re-live the nightmare. You see, the "new" tank began to leak gas out of the seam as I attempted to install it. Ugh. The whole project was for naught. I promptly reinstalled the original tank and chalked the whole thing up to a learning experience.

Attachments

• IMG_4011.JPG
    IMG_4011.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 246
  • IMG_4012.JPG
    IMG_4012.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 165

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
On the bright side, at least you got a chance to clean up the tank mount flange surfaces, remove any surface rust and reprotect these areas.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bri, Bri, Bri........everybody knows it must have been......... and always is.......the amalgamator valve.........your bud....Cliff Clavin. AHHH yeah.