E12/E28/E24 Steering Column into an E9.

TSOL3

Reaction score
Hi Gents (and Ladies) - first time-poster, long time reader. Searched in various Bimmer Forums but haven't as yet found an answer to my queries. Apologies if the answer is right under my nose, but was wondering whether it's possible to put the steering column from the E12/E28/E24 models into an E9. Been looking at a few - well, who wouldn't - but the turn signal stalk on the right side put me off a bit. I know, 1st World problems and all that, but I'm interested in doing a resto-mod in the next cpl yrs when time allows with the intention of swapping in an M88/S38, and was wondering if this was at all possible. Make no mistake, it's not a deal-breaker but being the long-ago former owner of a Datsun 2000 which had its signal stalk on the right, I never got used to signalling right and having my wipers turn on.

Also, while I'm here I might as well ask if it's possible to install a (factory-like) sunroof. Looking for one with a sunroof, and again, not a deal-breaker but would prefer one.

Thank you for hearing me out; I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps a '74 or '75 with telescoping steering column and signal stalk on the left would suit you? Some have factory sunroofs and air conditioning. Talk about all mod cons... Good luck

TSOL3

Reaction score
Hmm so the '74-75s have a signal on the left? And telescopic column? With any luck one may be able to shim the column lower an inch or two as well. Sounds like Xmas. I'll look into it, thanks Erik.

tochi

Reaction score
If it's just the turn signal's orientation that is off-putting, you can, without too much difficulty, swap the mechanism to the opposite side of the steering column. Requires moving the signal cancel cam too.

33081001_z.jpg
33081002_z.jpg

31010001_z.jpg

31010002_z.jpg