e-brake cables

aalto

Reaction score
I've been able to locate all the mechanical bits i need to restore my 1974 3.0cs. Most of the usual wear items have been easily available through my usual online parts sources. The one item that i can't seem to find anywhere: emergency brake cables. I thought it would be easy but apparently not! One of the cables was broken when i purchased the car and it needs to be replaced. Any ideas on where to find one . . . preferably in canada? It this a part that is shared with the early e12-based 6-series cars? Any help is appreciated!

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Call Carl Nelson, he'll set you up. You need to do a little machining, but not much.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I picked up a new set from W&N in Germany. The mounting end is of a lighter duty construction than the originals. It still seems adequate. The flange mounts to the inside versus the original which mounts to the outside. My installation did not require any machining of the hub or cable assembly. I have the original cable sleeves and cables if you are interested. I figured I would replace them since they were easy to get to and not that expensive.

In the photo you can just make out the lighter mounting flange.

Attachments

• RearHubBrake.jpg
    RearHubBrake.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 224

GreyEminence

Reaction score
I ordered a parking brake cable from BMW in North Vancouver two weeks ago - It had to come from Germany but it's due in any day.

aalto

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Just one of those parts that you'd think would be widely available and isn't. I actually have a cable from a 2800cs that was given to me . . . but i'm pretty certain it doesn't fit the disc brakes on the 3.0cs. Grey eminence . . . out of curiosity, what kind of price did BMW want for the cable? (I'm in Vancouver by the way)

Stefan

Reaction score
I found the same set of cables like W&N for 8€ each on a Swedish BMW part dealers "old parts sale" (motornord.se).
Fitted and work real good.
Could at least be of interest for you guys nearby.

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
Parts

I live on the island, Comox. Carl Nelson of LaJolla Independent has been my best source to date. Only problem is that coming from the states, the shipper needs to declare on the customs declaration "Antique Auto Parts" Otherwise you get charged duties as to the declared value of the parcel. Make sure to remind either him or Ben to do this.
Of note for us Canadians...I have been waiting on a parcel from Germany that was shipped via DHL. No movement of the parcel since November 27th according to the tracking site. Starting to worry that my bits have been hijacked. The seller needs to initiate the search...waiting on the pins as it were...
Shipped a parcel today FedEx to New York...22 lbs...$52.00 It is getting to the point where international commerce is too expensive and chancy, especially for our vintage parts.