Driveline shudder

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's counter intuitive - open goes towards the front.

Let me know if want a pic.

Hi Don, got it the right way.

Will have to leave this problem sit for a week or so now, super busy weekend coming up and won't have a chance to get back on a hoist for a bit.

Will let you all now progress as it happens.

Thanks for all of your input.

Cheers

Steve

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have managed to sort the shudder in my car.

As some of you may be aware after I changed to a CR 5 speed I had trouble getting my gearbox up high enough in the tunnel to get the drive shaft straight and the centre bearing hanger to bolt up to the mounts without putting a big twist in the guibo joint.
After much head scratching I decided I had room to lower the engine about 5-7 mm and that doing this would kick up the rear of the gearbox and straighten out the driveshaft.
I decided to use an uprated mount after reading from someone else on the forum that they had done this and it had sorted their similar problem.
After a bit of research I settled on using a generic Vibra technics mount for V8's as I thought the E30 one that is a straight swap was a bit light weight for our big six.

Had to completely scratch build the steel brackets that bolt to the engine block, (A) to lower the engine and (B) to make these mounts work as they are taller than the standard rubber mount.

So to cut a long story short, the lowering of the engine and the use of the new stiffer engine mounts has resulted in a straight driveshaft and no shudder, probably a combination of having everything straight in the drive line again and the stiffer mounts not letting the engine move around under load allowing the drive line to get further out of wack.

It was quite a bit of work but the end result is awesome, so all well worth it.

Steve

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419070251.678388.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419070251.678388.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 95

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's not perfectly straight, but much much better than it was when I had to have 30 mm packer blocks under the centre bearing hanger, now the bearing is back up bolted were it should be.
I did make up a straight edge to check the drive shaft, it's not perfectly straight, still a small kink at the bearing, so it should be all good