Double CS project package, phoenix

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I made contact with the seller shortly after they were posted and got my opportunity to see the cars this morning. They're located between Superior, AZ and Globe/Miami, AZ just off of US 60, so about 1.25 hours east of Phoenix. The cars are at the seller's parents' house. There is no cellular phone reception.

The '72 CS was originally Taiga and has had at least two paint jobs over that - both blue. One looked like Nachtblau, but it's currently something similar to Laserblau or an E36-era color. Maybe not even a BMW color. Interior is Marineblau cloth. No sunroof with a 4-speed. The ad said the car runs smoothly, but that was 13 years ago in Germany. The rust and bondo are all that's keeping this car together. Bumpers are there and straight, but rusty. Perhaps they could be saved. The car is pretty complete. Rear deck hasn't been hacked up. The interior is pretty good on this one. I didn't see any cracks in the vinyl dash pad. Veneer needs work, of course. I don't think there's a body panel on the car worth using, though maybe the trunklid could be okay. He has an ad up for the car alone for $6k.

The '74 CS is a factory Polaris over red leather car with a sunroof. The owner bought this car to install an S38 into. It was purchased from the second German owner who owned it for over 20 years and that it was rust-free when it bought it. It's had both front floor pans replaced with flat sheetmetal, one of the rears welded in likely from another car. There are a couple of patches in the rear wheel wells and the fronts have had quite a bit of metal either replaced or added atop the original metal. He had a shop paint the car while he was in Afghanistan and was very disappointed upon his return. The swage line is virtually gone and there was no block sanding. Bondo is cracking all over and rust is peeking through. It was supposedly indoors since coming to the USA. Front and rear windows were removed and are back in with the new seals. Under the hood, it looks like the entire engine compartment received at least a skim coat of bondo. You can't see any of the joints for the nose to inner-fenders or even see any irregularities up by the firewall and the frame rails (which look straight). the tops of the inner fenders don't show any seams and you can see rust peeking out at the outer-to-inner-fender seams. Behind the headlamps, there is rust at the junction with the nose and the inner fender. From the engine side, it's smooth. For now. There is rust perforation above the fuse box and the glovebox. I didn't bother digging to look at the inner sills because the outer rocker covers were "grafted" to the car starting in the lower corners of the door jamb. From the photos, I assumed they were off the car, but given that the rockers were smooth as I approached it, I could tell something wasn't right. I brought a jack with me, but there was no reason to remove wheels as the right side jacking points were no longer coming through the rocker cover. The bottoms of each door were rusty. The trunk was actually pretty good, but I didn't waste time removing the cover over where the diff mount ties into the trunk floor. All of the glass was wrapped up in bubble wrap and I noticed the trunk caddy sitting there with a large amount of shredded bubble wrap and paper. Uh-oh. Then I found the carcasses of three mice in the well. Dad gets the shop vac and cleans that up for the next guy coming to see the cars.

As far as the S38 goes, it's an S38B36 which should be the same US or Euro. It was in an E34 M5 that was highly customized, then customized further by a power pole in 1999. The block is purple and every aluminum surface was mirror polished. No modifications were made to the car to install the motor, but only half of the headers are on, so it's not actually installed. I tried to rotate the crank (only enough to make sure it wasn't seized), but it didn't move.

As far as parts, He's got a few Rubbermaid containers with various parts. More yellow and purple stuff from the E34 M5 for the S38, the old hardware removed from the car, grilles, headlights and tail lights, etc. He has another bin with a bunch of new weatherstripping in bags from BMW. I didn't remove any of the stuff from the car, but he's got a set of red Carl Nelson springs and "new" Bilsteins. The door panels are probably buried somewhere. The BBS RSs are pretty nice and the BBS RCs are E36 fitment and nice, but because they're 17s and E36 fitment, the market is low on them. The silver car has 16" Rial mesh on it. I thought they were 14s from the photos in the ad, but the outer edge of the lip is painted black. Fooled me. He also has four unused tires for the RSs.

They just procured Arizona titles and registration for both cars (Pinal County, so no emissions tests needed on these, which is the new requirement for titles), so that should reduce the difficulty of titling or registering the cars if someone decided they were worth working on.

He's pretty firm on the $13,500 for the package despite saying he was open to offers. Over the week he had been lining up people to see these cars, he received a lot of interest. It was a nice drive and a learning experience for me, so I'm not complaining.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
I feel for the seller. Probably has a lot of money and heartbreak into those things, never got anything back and now will probably get another blow when he doesn´t get what he´s asking (how could he with two cars that are only good for parting and an engine that is ugly and probably seized).
Unless he finds someone with very rosetinted glasses and the heartbreak goes elsewhere.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I feel for the seller. Probably has a lot of money and heartbreak into those things, never got anything back and now will probably get another blow when he doesn´t get what he´s asking (how could he with two cars that are only good for parting and an engine that is ugly and probably seized).
Unless he finds someone with very rosetinted glasses and the heartbreak goes elsewhere.

I have heard a saying in the used car business "The is an ass for every seat"
You could take that any way you like....

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
It was a real shame. I'm not sure what I expected of a sunroof car that spent nearly 30 years in Germany and was painted over a decade ago by Russians but I was hoping it would work out, though in a way I'm relieved. Its a very weird feeling.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Heard from a local guy today for advice on a set of BBS RSs he just picked up. Interestingly, they were the ones from this listing. He bought both sets of BBS wheels (for a steal). A few people went out there to look. I was the first. The cars haven't sold.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
The seller contacted me back two days ago and said cars had sold. Strange he would say they have sold if they are still available. He has also deleted his ad on Craigslist.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I gave all of that information to HB Chris. VINs for both cars and best I could tell how they were originally configured. I also sent him a few photos.

Last edited: