Door Weather Stripping Question

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi all - is the weather stripping around the door a single piece that goes along the top down the front, along the door sill and then up to the base of the rear window? My car seems to have a piece spliced in along the door sill, and I am wondering if this was a "hack mechnic" fix?

And if, as I fear, the answer is yes, is this baby a $400+ part?

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Check the parts books through realoem for instance then you get a drawing which you can compare to your situation. That's most easy to answer your question.

Yes, new ones are ~400 usd.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes.

The upper door seal is 3 pieces glued together. For the top door seal, work from the sill up the A Pillar & with the right angle & a little finesse can roll the rubber into the upper A Pillar flange. Then is has to be trimmed notch slightly at the B pillarless upper window. The lower sill is held by the chrome trim & the lower B is held by the pinch welt.

IMG_2949.jpeg
IMG_2950.jpeg
IMG_2951.jpeg
IMG_2952.jpeg
IMG_2953.jpeg
IMG_2954.jpeg
IMG_2955.jpeg
IMG_2956.jpeg
IMG_2957.jpeg
IMG_2958.jpeg
IMG_2959.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Parts book shows one piece, but I can see the seams where the pieces were joined. Andrew has confirmed my fears; even though the seams are visible, that is how BMW made them.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI, after installing the driver side door seal ai had an annoying whistle above 40 mph. There was a visible hollow for 3-4 inches in the middle of the vent window frame & had VSR adjust the window frame to eliminate the gap.

IMG_4033.jpeg

Last edited:

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's why I haven't done mine, perhaps they can be trimmed to fit deeper in the frame.
Yes that small piece pictured above by Andrew can be trim to remove a bit of it‘s thickness, after doing so both doors closed with new weather strippings.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I cannot wait to put the car in the sun, neither door closes well...they catch but.......

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, the transition pad which joins the upper A flange & the lower glued pinch welt, can be made a bit thinner.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am installing the $400 seals now and most of the drivers side is in. I had to tap down the pinch seals with a rubber hammer to make sure they are properly seated, The door closes a little hard but not terrible.
I have not trimmed the top seal at the B Pillar and saw that @adawil2002 stated:

"Then is has to be trimmed notch slightly at the B pillarless upper window."
Do you mean to cut it at the angle of the rear window chrome piece (picture attached)?

I don't want to cut it off twice and still have it too short.
I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Door Seal.jpg
    Door Seal.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Dan Wood, yes & the seal is a little wider than the rear window upper trim. Put the rear window down enough to get the door seal to seat in the flange. Then put the rear window up enough to just touch the seal. then you'll see exactly how the seal needs to be trimmed to allow the rear window to fully close & be tight.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Dan Wood, yes & the seal is a little wider than the rear window upper trim. Put the rear window down enough to get the door seal to seat in the flange. Then put the rear window up enough to just touch the seal. then you'll see exactly how the seal needs to be trimmed to allow the rear window to fully close & be tight.

Thank you, that clarifies it.
Dan