Door creases...is this common?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I never noticed this before, but on the '73 CSi currently on BAT, it shows it. And there was some comment that it's common if you open up the door too wide?

I've never noticed that before on other cars. I'd think someone would have to drastically throw the door open for it to do that.

5b08666ceb82a_1527105698ea3f9baa10fCoupe-Photo-47.jpg

richn123

Reaction score
He probably already replaced the door brakes with the new style. They let the door open a lot wider like in the pictures.

Rich

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
He probably already replaced the door brakes with the new style. They let the door open a lot wider like in the pictures.

Rich
If you are implying that the newer door brake caused the vertical crease in the fender by the door opening too wide, it can’t happen. With a properly functioning newer brake, even at its widest opening, the leading edge of door will not come close to hitting the front fender.

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
it can be worse :)
after a 2000 miles rally ( 1 week Tulip rally in 2014) i came home tired and just wanted to check quickly the car underneath... drove it on the lift not knowing my rear wheels were just balancing on the ramps... getting out ...and the car rolled backwards .... ofcourse with the open door against a post ....:eek:

we drove the rally without a scratch , to demolish it at the home lift.....:mad:

doemme 001.JPG

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you are implying that the newer door brake caused the vertical crease in the fender by the door too wide, it can’t happen. With a properly functioning newer brake, even at its widest opening, the leading edge of door will not come close to hitting the front fender.

I agree, if I'm not mistaken, when a door brake is broken the door ALMOST hits the fender when fully open. It doesn't take much to get it to touch so I would think a working door brake (new style or OEM) would stop it quite a distance from the fender.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes Robert , my fault.... i never leave it in gear or handbrake on , but put blocks under the wheels as you can see in that pic from the day after....
typical , car is high up on lift , you want to turn rear wheels and ... yep, handbrake or in gear. Also from outside you are never sure the car is "locked" ... so better are visible blocks under the wheels. Meanwhile i even have much better rubber blocks .