despair! seeking drivers window regular

hooptie

Reaction score
Hello fellow Sisters and Brethren,

My 72 CS is at the mechanic as Im finally fixing my inoperative windows and he's discovered that the drivers side regulator is shot. Motor and gears work fine apparently, just the big regulator thing appears beyond repair. Would anyone have a drivers side regulator they'd want to unload? My mechanic has a small shop and wants my car out asap so he can free up space. Thanks in advance and Kind Regards, tom

Attachments

• IMG_7717.JPG
    IMG_7717.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 88

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone needs to find a spring for these. Your regulator isn’t beyond repair, but the spring is broken. You might search around for a replacement "spiral torsion spring" before giving up.
6F09B32C-D495-47DA-8EF5-F0CE38365A83.jpeg

Spiral Torsion Springs:
springs2.jpg

Last edited:

hooptie

Reaction score
Apparently the regulator is shot and my mechanic says it's beyond repair. Im still looking for an entire regulator it seems. Carl in La Jolla has the springs but now Im looking for the whole unit once again. Any advice as to the best place to purchase new? Thanks tom

jmackro

Reaction score
Apparently @jmackro says they aren’t needed.

Aw, what does that guy know?

But seriously, yea, I have removed those coil springs from my regulators and see no difference in behavior. I recall reading that they were superfluous before running my experiment, but don't recall the source.

In theory, I can see how the springs should speed the rate the windows go up; they should counteract gravity, as the windows are pretty heavy. In practice, I suspect that the friction in the system, hysteresis in the spring, and inherent slow speed of the "sardine can" motor-gearboxes results in the springs not making any difference.

What behavior is your regulator experiencing?

Yes, that is the key question. Besides the coil spring, is anything else visibly broken or bent?

Motor and gears work fine apparently

They may be working fine now, but I don't like seeing the cover missing from the worm gear, 90 degree drive. The grease in there will pick up grit if exposed to the atmosphere, resulting in wear and friction.

I am a big proponent of switching to e28 motors as a cure for e9 window issues. But that swap retains the e9 regulator, so if your's is truly bad, it won't solve that problem

Last edited:

hooptie

Reaction score
Aw, what does that guy know?

But seriously, yea, I have removed those coil springs from my regulators and see no difference in behavior. I recall reading that they were superfluous before running my experiment, but don't recall the source.

In theory, I can see how the springs should speed the rate the windows go up; they should counteract gravity, as the windows are pretty heavy. In practice, I suspect that the friction in the system, hysteresis in the spring, and inherent slow speed of the "sardine can" motor-gearboxes results in the springs not making any difference.

Yes, that is the key question. Besides the coil spring, is anything else visibly broken or bent?

They may be working fine now, but I don't like seeing the cover missing from the worm gear, 90 degree drive. The grease in there will pick up grit if exposed to the atmosphere, resulting in wear and friction.

I am a big proponent of switching to e28 motors as a cure for e9 window issues. But that swap retains the e9 regulator, so if your's is truly bad, it won't solve that problem

Unfortunately Im at the mechanic's mercy...to me it looks pretty good also aside from the spring issue. I think he just wants to cover his ass and find new (or working) components. My car is simply a ratty driver and will stay that way...all Im looking for is quasi-functionality and not great the bank! So, Im looking to replace the whole unit hopefully

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hooptie,
I only have a drivers side REAR that is loose/quickly shipped. I have one in the parts car door, but cant access it right now. Maybe Al Taylor has one?
Dave V.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a similar looking window regulator. Mind you I still had the spring, which it seems may not make any difference. But when it failed, cleaning every wire connection, then cleaning the big exposed gear/wheel and re-lubing, got everything to work again. I'm saying you may not need another unit. Just some basic time freshening a weary motor. Could be fun, and you could post your results here! :D

hooptie

Reaction score
I had a similar looking window regulator. Mind you I still had the spring, which it seems may not make any difference. But when it failed, cleaning every wire connection, then cleaning the big exposed gear/wheel and re-lubing, got everything to work again. I'm saying you may not need another unit. Just some basic time freshening a weary motor. Could be fun, and you could post your results here! :D
Thank you, I may indeed embark on that journey...I need to assess what other parts I may need to replace. Thanks again

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Again. I will need your address and hope to have a price for you Monday once I have a zip so I can get a price for shipping.

Thanks

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi. Just heard from my source in Canada. He said g he price is $200 plus $50 for shipping.
I will send you a photo with his message.