Darryl's license plates in PA - anyone used them?

FjordTempo

Reaction score
I have one blue CA front plate that used to be on my car (all service records have this plate no.) and an anonymous board member was kind enough to "find" my old registration with that same plate number. I've found Darryl's in PA who do plate restoration and duplication (for show use only, of course), and plan on sending them my one plate.

http://www.darrylsplates.com/

Has anyone used Darryl's?

I know my attempt to register the old plates at the DMV will rely on some luck and old fashioned charm, and is by no means a done deal as the YOM deal doesn't apply, but I remain optimistic.

If anyone has any other tips for CA, please share. I'm sick of my new white plate!

thank you
Matt

jmackro

Reaction score
I used Darryls years ago. The quality was excellent, but as I recall it took a long time.

Are you going to have Darryls make a duplicate plate? If so, do you know whether they use steel or aluminum? If it's aluminum, DMV might recognize that it's a repro and probably won't like that.

Going to a smaller DMV office might be your best bet - my closest office is San Clemente and they were very cooperative with my last YOM transaction. I wouldn't be optimistic about Costa Mesa. If you have paperwork linking the blue plates to the car and you have two decent-looking plates, a sympathetic clerk should OK it. If they say "no", just try again another day / another office.

FjordTempo said:
I'm sick of my new white plate!

Amen to that. Modern plates on a vintage car make about as much sense as 19" wheels on a vintage car.

Last edited:

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had blue plates made for me by these guys:

http://www.licenseplates.tv/

The new blue plate has the same license plate number as my white plates. Shortly after I had them made, the company that made them no longer offered any CA plates on their site--but maybe if you call ?? The DMV was going to try to bring back blue plates but I'm not sure what happened with that either. So in summary, I am no help at all.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The CA Attorney General threatened to sue licenseplates.tv, they can't even discuss CA plates anymore. The Blue Plates CA may offer won't look original as they have to be reflectorized now and won't be embossed, just painted.

Let us know what Darryl's says.

jmackro

Reaction score
The CA Attorney General threatened to sue licenseplates.tv, they can't even discuss CA plates anymore.....Let us know what Darryl's says.

If Darryls is willing to make California plates, then maybe you shouldn't let us know what they say! If they are risking the wrath of the State of California, it might be best to not publicize their actions on the Internet.

FjordTempo

Reaction score
Thank you guys. I called Licenseplates.TV to double check and the guy practically hung up on me. I'll let you know how I get on with the never-again-to-be-mentioned company.

Thanks again.

Matt