Coupe in Newport Beach

tightbox

Reaction score
Wow, same color combination as my CSi. Sure wish mine was done to this standard!

Last edited:

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
He seems to be a honest guy, at least that is the sense I get from his description. Looks like a very nice and solid car.

BavarianCream

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Based on his description of what was done, I'm struggling to see how 45K was spent on the interior and exterior restoration. I don't think it's unreasonable to spend 15k on a really well done interior these days, however that leaves 20k or so on paint and another 5k for misc. That seems high considering the body was in pretty good shape to begin with.

Would be interesting to see the receipts, and where exactly the 45k went, however if the seller is really thinking the car is now worth 74K I think he's high.

jmackro

Reaction score
Would be interesting to see the receipts, and where exactly the 45k went, however if the seller is really thinking the car is now worth 74K I think he's high.

Agree. Seems like a case of "if I spent $74K then you should be willing to spend $74K". Unfortunately, life doesn't usually work that way.

from ebay description said:
I did not do any major mechanical work on the car other than boil the gas tank and check all the systems to make sure everything worked. The car drives very well. The tires have good tread but the sidewalls are cracked.

This guy is definitely more into cosmetics than mechanicals! I would guess that some further mechanical sorting will be needed.

White would not have been my choice for the interior. Was that color ever offered by the factory?

jefftepper

Reaction score
First, this looks like a very nice car which may need a thorough going over mechanically given the seller's comment about the sparing mechanical work done as part of his 'restoration".

Second, not meaning to sound hyper-critical, but does the hood gap look a bit odd to anyone else?

Lastly, to jmackro's comment about the asking price, I've seen that logic referred to as "the greater fool theory" which essentially stands for the proposition that it doesn't matter what I pay because the next guy will pay me more.

jmackro

Reaction score
...does the hood gap look a bit odd to anyone else?

Yes. The hood looks too far back or sitting too high at the front. This is probably nothing major - the hood was probably aligned before the spring mechanism was installed. But yea, on a $74,000 car, you expect these things to be taken care of.

polaris68

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree. Seems like a case of "if I spent $74K then you should be willing to spend $74K". Unfortunately, life doesn't usually work that way.

This guy is definitely more into cosmetics than mechanicals! I would guess that some further mechanical sorting will be needed.

White would not have been my choice for the interior. Was that color ever offered by the factory?

White interior was a factory color

CoachKel

Reaction score
The value is not a product of receipts but of its condition. A very nice coupe will have certain qualitative features irrespective of some previous owner showing off a pile of receipts, or lack thereof. I've seen coupes that were bought for $10k and then sell a year later for $60k. And we all know someone who has spent 2x the amount of restoration money in contrast to what they would ever fetch if they sold.

Based on his description of what was done, I'm struggling to see how 45K was spent on the interior and exterior restoration. I don't think it's unreasonable to spend 15k on a really well done interior these days, however that leaves 20k or so on paint and another 5k for misc. That seems high considering the body was in pretty good shape to begin with.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thought I would resurrect this thread as I met the owner today and inspected his coupe. Chris Kiefer from LJI was there with a prospective buyer as well. I have to say it looks even better than the photos. This was a one owner car since being sold at Bob Smith BMW in Canoga Park in October 1973 until 2013, it has the original service book with dealer stamps and service receipts which back up the stated 75K miles. It has a very professional and beautiful Fjord paint with new white leather interior, both the original colors. Engine bay not painted but shows original paint, everything still there and in working order including speed relays, York A/C pump and original hoses still blowing cold air, 1973 head, perfect fender seams, original owners manual, booklets, keys, etc. Wood refinished by Madera in correct satin finish, trunk panels amazingly clean and untorn. It needs tires and the underside would benefit from a cleaning and restoration but this fits my definition of a solid, well restored, photo documented coupe that could be driven instantly and enjoyed and is certainly worth $65k or maybe more. And I didn't arrive at this number by looking at receipts, it speaks for itself. Someone will be very satisfied owning this coupe.

Chris