Converting Shift Surround from Auto to Manual

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gruppe,

I'm in the middle of converting my 74 CSA to 5 speed. The trans is in, the driveshaft is at the shop getting lengthened and balanced and I about to convert my auto shift surround to accomodate the 5 speed. I can see the area that needs to be cut from underneath but it looks bigger than it should be.

Can those of you that have done this successfully (or unsuccessfully) give me you secrets on doing it right? This is the one item that has to be done right since I'll be looking at it everytime I drive the car.

Thanks,

John M

careysd

Reaction score
I sent out a WTB ad and a nice gentleman sent me a manual shift surround. The automatic surround unscrews and lifts out. If you were crafty, I don't think it would be to hard to make one. I may try this in the future.

Good luck,

Scott C.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the surround:

http://home.earthlink.net/~b_jamin/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/platform.jpg

You need to cut/carve the recessed square in the center. To do that you need to first cut and separate the vinyl on the top side. Be careful to cut out the vinyl less than the size of the square so there is enough material left to wrap around the new opening. You can glue the vinyl to the backside. Getting a straight cut of the wood is also important.
The leather with zipper you need for the manual comes either from La Jolla Independent, or a fellow in the UK that advertises a fancy version (Italian leather?).

Both the wood and the vinyl were in pretty good shape, actually just like new, in my case.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Arde,

Thanks for the picture. From just eyeballing the recessed area I'm worried that cutting to the very edge of the that area will be too big an opening and too close to the window switches. In Carl nelson's original instructions says to "build up the edge of the opening until flush" I'm not sure what he means. I think I'll order the shift boot before cutting.

Or if anyone has a decent manual surround they'd be willing to sell...

John

61porsche

Reaction score
Here's a photo from Coupeking's site of the top showing the cutout. He sells new ones or just perhaps has plans to.

As far as Carl's comment, to me it means reinforce the remaining of the "thin" area. 1/4" plywood glued and sealed would do it. I just don't recall it being flush.

I redid mine along with new switches. Made my own boot. ( Ok, the wife sewed) $6 in materials. I have a pattern , if you want it. Since it stapled underneath, the build up helps with that and to avoid shifter slop hitting.

http://www.coupeking.com/product_id-503.html