Car stalling

61porsche

Reaction score
Stalling- distributer

It's more likely that the points need replaced or at least adjusted. The information is available here as a guide: http://www.e9-driven.com/GeneralInfo.asp in either the repair manual or in the owner's manual also.

Check the tightness of of the screw which holds the condenser on the distributer.

On the cap, yes. Just replace one wire at a time. Before replacing, what your looking for is a small black line inside or out where electrical is crossing a path where it shouldn't. A small amount of black or carbon is normal on the brass contacts. Same for the rotor. Both can be carefully cleaned with sandpaper to help or just replace. The engine firing order is embossed on the valve cover if something gets confusing and the revolution is clockwise.

On the points- held by screws. First get the distributer lobe in position whereby the points are open. Bumping the engine over or if it's close the cam can actually turn by hand a small amount which is advance. The gap of the points is important to best running.

Until you get a bit familiar with the engine, pls. follow Don's advice and not remove the distributer. Check the wiring connections as well as the screws that ground the condensor and points first as it's likely as you said you just bumped it back in position. The other thing is to look at the wires/ cap running at night. See sparks or arcing? It's not supposed to. Another oldtimer trick- turn on the AM radio to no station- hear something regular? Not supposed to.

Advice to all- carry a spare set of points and a condenser in the car. There's no need to be stranded for a $6 dollar part once you know how to replace it. many of us in an emergency just eyeball the gap or use a match cover as a feeler guage. That's no excuse for a dwell meter though when you can buy one for twenty bucks and pick up 5 or 10 hp which is a big deal on a M30.

Glad to hear it started.

inmantua1

Reaction score
next steps

ok. new cap. no spark. I think next steps would be: replace condenser? replace adjust points. Does someone know a guide to adjusting/replacing points?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ummmm- what happened to checking for spark at the coil????

"Use that same spare spark plug and put it back on the valve cover but this time use the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor cap and check again for spark."

inmantua1

Reaction score
Las Vegas

I am in Las Vegas. If i connect a new spare spark plug to the wire to the distributor and turn it over I get no spark when laying on the cover. I also purchased a device for checking for spark. I matched the gap to the spare plug and grounded it and still no spark. Ideas?

JhwShark

Reaction score
No spark out of the coil...is there voltage to the Ballast resistor, the side not going to the coil usually Green wire? It comes from the speed relay.

A Ballast resistor, can have a cracked ceramic retainer which can cause an open no voltage beyond it...no voltage to the coil.

Anyone...I don't remember if there is any test for the speed relay?? The intermittent/ short duration of the RUN is strange...check all grounds as well.
Jon

Use the match cover as your points gap for now.

inmantua1

Reaction score
Car does not run at all now. Will not even start. The short runs were the start of the probelm weeks ago. I will check the coil spark later when I have someone who can start the vehicle. let me know if you think of anythign else that I can try. Matchbook width for points? How do I get them open. I tried numerous times to crank the engine and get it open but never worked.

JhwShark

Reaction score
Put car in neutral and apply a wrench (IIRC 17 or 19 or 22mm??) and turn the engine by the crank pulley with the cap off the dist. as well as the rotor off, watch for dist shaft lobe (the first one, if it passed it do the next lobe) to reach the peak while the point edge is on it...then loosen the points screw so you can finger open the points and stick a match book cover into the opening, let the points close on it...then tighten the screw. You could pull a few spark plugs for the engine to turn easier.

Buy a Bentley or Haynes for a 3.0/Bavaria it will have a tune up for the ignition and other relevant info.

61porsche

Reaction score
Point replacement instructions from the owner's manual:

http://www.e9-driven.com/Public/Library/Documentation/Owners%20Manual/3.0%20CS-CSI%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

The fiber heel of the points wears down and can close the points, hence the need for periodic adjustment. The important observation is that there is a small amount of opening. The cam ( part where the rotor attaches) moves a small amount by twisting it with your hand for observation of the points opening.

The condenser- if bad; the car will NOT start.

Other items to try:

If it is suspect (it is) that the ballast resistor is defective- take the green wire off and place it on the coil+ terminal. This bypasses it entirely for testing and temporary purposes. If the car starts- you found it and know what to do.

If you have a length of wire, fasten one end to the plus side of the batterry and the other end to the plus side of the coil. If it starts, it's likely the ignition switch. ( Good old fashioned hot wiring)

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stop it- you guys are killimg me...

36mm at the crank
41mm at the cam

what happened to the battery voltage check at all 3 terminals at the coil?

JhwShark

Reaction score
what happened to the battery voltage check at all 3 terminals at the coil?

+1

I mentioned in an earlier post to check voltage at the green wire at the Ballast resistor..goes to coil (+ contact) from other side of Ballast. You already know that no volts at the big lead. And, IIRC, if no start there would not be voltage at the - side of the coil.

My understanding is that if no voltage at the + coil and at the Green lead side of the Ballast, then something is not giving you voltage out of the speed relay....or before in that circuit. Check continuity of the Ballast, if good then the ground on the speed relay (Brown wire)...

Your points still need to have proper gap!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+2 !

I missed all that - my bad..
I have been traveling the last 5 days- 2 days at Peter and Erick's and now a week in Maui rewiring a Mondial.

Actually coils are wound and connected so that a properly wired and functioning coil will show +12volts [battery voltage] at all three connectors[ 1, 15, and 4] at the same time when the engine is not running but the key is on and voltage is present at # 15. As you point out if there is no + voltage at terminal 15- so ain't nothin going to happen.
It is only when a negative is presented briefly that the coil will produce a spark.

Think I better catch up on all the posts before I respond so much...

inmantua1

Reaction score
Problem Solved

It turns out that it was the contacts. I had the unit replaced and rund like a dream.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
It turns out that it was the contacts. I had the unit replaced and rund like a dream.

These days contacts in really good and reliable quality are hard to come by. I wholheartedly recommend converting to contactless ignition as one of the few modern tec upgrades that our cars really profit from. Set and forget. I´ve had mine in this car for 60000mls now, thereby saving me changing the points and retiming the ignition 10times and counting.

I highly recommend the pertronics ignitor. Only the simple electronics that fits right in the distributor and replaces the point.
Stay away from all the other upgrades (coils etc...) cause they can cause trouble (higher voltage gives problems with the stock wires and plugs)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1 on pertronix - one less thing to worry about and my car fires right up no matter how long it sits and runs strong.