Can the front door lock code be seen from inside the door?

Rjsnyc

Reaction score
My car came with only one key. It Works w the ignition but not the doors. The recommended CA locksmith guys here bet
the door locks probably match, just need the codes to confirm, and then to make the keys. Is it possible to see the lock code from inside the door? As I have the panel off now for the window motor issue.

Thx

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No unfortunately. And lock is not easy to remove as the nut is 32mm I think but a very thin wrench is needed. I have loosened the nuts by tapping with a long file and a hammer though.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car came with only one key. It Works w the ignition but not the doors. The recommended CA locksmith guys here bet
the door locks probably match, just need the codes to confirm, and then to make the keys. Is it possible to see the lock code from inside the door? As I have the panel off now for the window motor issue.

Thx
but the locksmith is right - each lock has a code stamped on including glove box and trunk ones.

Just it is the task to read each of it.

The most demanding is the ignition key I think

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since the trunk and glove box lock are opened by the main key as well as the valet key, would they have a different code than the doors and ignition?

Roman596061

Reaction score
No, you can remove the glove box key to get the code (usually two alpha characters and three numbers) or it's much easier to take a picture of your key and send it keysforclassics.com - I think he charges $88 for two keys - highly recommended.

Richards

BmwCalvin

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I just went through this as well I figured I could offer some insight. The door locks are held on with a 30mm nut, that I was able to get to with my bicycle spanner wrench. Also works well on fans for 80s bmws!

Once you have removed the lock you should be able to read the code on the lock or take a photo of it. Send it over to Keysforlclassics like Roman596061 said and they can cut you some new keys!

The spanner I have is for sale on amazon-

Attachments

• B4A6FBF2-E629-4CE7-92EE-45A0A409A22F_1_105_c.jpeg
    B4A6FBF2-E629-4CE7-92EE-45A0A409A22F_1_105_c.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 24

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did the code match? I would expect the door code to be a subset of the ignition code...

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was hoping in my car that my glove box key would match the ignition but I was wrong. Each key (driver door, passenger door, ignition switch, glove box and trunk are all different.

It looks like this lock design was extremely sensitive to environment (rain, dust etc)

I suppose once they were new, E9s was having a key set, all the same code per lock set but I'm not sure about that having single owner car with all different codes in.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was hoping in my car that my glove box key would match the ignition but I was wrong. Each key (driver door, passenger door, ignition switch, glove box and trunk are all different.

It looks like this lock design was extremely sensitive to environment (rain, dust etc)

I suppose once they were new, E9s was having a key set, all the same code per lock set but I'm not sure about that having single owner car with all different codes in.
@Krzysztof ; A new E9 came with a fully matching set, meaning one key for all. Up to a few years ago one could buy a set from Walloth for ~500 euro.
Besides the key, there was a so-called valet key that opened both (all for e3) )doors and ignition, but not trunk and glovebox.
Seems to be a partial set available here still for ~1200 euro, missing the ignition (!) : https://www.retroclassicspares.com/product-page/bmw-e9-locks-set-32321105748

I used a regular adjustable spanner, but then my door handle, glass and window tracks were already out:
20240126_145511-1.jpg

As @HBChris mentioned in 2023; one can't read the code of the cylinder. It's stamped on the little arm that is trully hidden by other parts. In the pic it's indicated by the Blue arrow in the pic above.

Last edited:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Erik for confirmation it will be one for all locks.

Interesting to know also valet key was in the set.

Regarding the stamping (picture from the Forum):

1712045447842.png

I remember it was surprisingly simple to unscrew the lock from the inside of the door (trying to check if any code will match)

Which one is the valet key?
1712045881953.png

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Krzysztof ; not sure, as i wrote this in a thread I started on locks and keys / rekeying:

Question 2: i think i read on the forum somewhere this: who can confirm?:
- valet key has 7 dimples, normal keys have 6 dimples. The valet key open all, but not trunk nor glovebox.
Seems counterintuitive to me, as I'd expect the valet key to have one less dimple, thus not activating (opening) pin#7 of the glovebox.

I haven't looked up the technical manuals on this yet; they'll possibly provide the answer.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As you can see in the pictures above, the valet key (silver) has 6 dimples which is a subset of the 7 dimples of the normal key (black rubber).

Why two valet keys in that set? Perhaps because valets manage many keys and can lose some?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i honestly do not think the code has anything to do with the actual key code ... unless it just links to some record that BMW has. codes generally link to the depth of each hole (which also links to the width in this case). for instance a 0 is very slight. a 9 is very deep (and wide) ... everything in between is proportional.

there are 2 ways to do a valet key -
1. having a shallower hole in the valet key - therefore having a 2nd (master) pin in one given cylinder of the lock(s) that you want to work - so the main key and the valet key would operate in that lock ... and the one that wouldn't work (the trunk) wouldn't have the 2nd pin - the deeper pin with the shallow hole would keep the cylinder from turning.

2. the locks that weren't operated by the valet key would have one pin that the other locks did not have - therefore keeping the cylinder from turning.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
i honestly do not think the code has anything to do with the actual key code ... unless it just links to some record that BMW has. codes generally link to the depth of each hole (which also links to the width in this case). for instance a 0 is very slight. a 9 is very deep (and wide) ... everything in between is proportional.

there are 2 ways to do a valet key -
1. having a shallower hole in the valet key - therefore having a 2nd (master) pin in one given cylinder of the lock(s) that you want to work - so the main key and the valet key would operate in that lock ... and the one that wouldn't work (the trunk) wouldn't have the 2nd pin - the deeper pin with the shallow hole would keep the cylinder from turning.

2. the locks that weren't operated by the valet key would have one pin that the other locks did not have - therefore keeping the cylinder from turning.

I was able to order a key based on the key code at BMW Shop (proving being an owner of the car of course).

It is interesting how it is coded . Probably never to be disclosed. :)

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
i honestly do not think the code has anything to do with the actual key code ...

Interestingly I have a Pebra key with fitting lock that have identical numbers on both key and lock, see image.
(I've obscured part of the code for safety reasons just to play it safe)

Attachments

• 20240405_165310.jpg
    20240405_165310.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 14

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Do You mean from different cars/stocks?

It is possible assuming how many cars were made (E3/E9) with such a key plus spare parts.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
No, I bought some used locks as spares The above example came as a matching pair from a wrecked car.
Another lock has the code on the key, but in a different location:
That key has a black plastic cap with BMW logo on one side, and 'Pebra' on the other side. Perhaps a later dealer provided spare part?

Attachments

• 20240405_165801.jpg
    20240405_165801.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 14

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
According to my keys, full metal have had it stamped on the special area as pictures when plastic covered have had it stamped on the sword.

This is at least what I have observed on the keys I have. :)

Could be a rule.