Body dolly dimensions/construction

7173bmw

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to strip a '73 3.0cs for resto. I want to drop front and rear suspension sub frames and send the tub out. The front is sub frame is straight forward but where am I supporting the rear after that sub frame is dropped? Where are my mounting points? Anyone have dimensions how I should set this up?

Thanks,

Nick

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is photo of my setup. I will be pulling the front and rear dolly's off in the next couple of weeks. Too bad you are so far away. I left the rubber rear subframe bushings in place and used the same long bolt. I have new bushings to replace these.

Attachments

• RearDolly.jpg
    RearDolly.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 305

7173bmw

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic Sven!

This is my first go around with this and I have enough 6x6 wood to make a rolling dolly. There is a strip of metal on each side right where the rear sub frame connects to the car. Can I use these points with the 6x6 going across as a support for the body?

Thanks,

ND

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are you talking about the brace piece? At the front end it has two small bolts into the floor and at the rear is attached to the subframe bushing with the single large bolt. That piece could potentially bend and is not meant to be loaded perpendicular to its length. One thing to consider is with a large 6x6 piece so close to the underside it will be difficult to remove the fuel lines and brake line and also to blast, paint, undercoat.

nimble_n_quick

Reaction score
Here's what I did for the rear:

DSC_0201.JPG

And for the front:

GEDC1189.JPG

Prior to putting the car on a trailer, I connected the front and rear wheel sets with a cross member.

FWIW - the blasting shop said they would have preferred to have the rear also on casters.

I will post some dimensions after my next trip to the paint shop.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey nimble, would it be too much trouble to post dimensions on the front dolly. I need to make one and I suck at fabricating stuff. I'm actually thinking if I could do it with lumber.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What a great amount of talent is to be found here....