bmw m90 questions

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pick up the phone and ask a master engine builder what he thinks….

Terry Tinney

livermore California

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m curious why the choice matters unless you are doing a super low budget build (B35 wins), or a vintage race motor where you are supposed to use the correct motor, you are limited on displacement and ready to spend $$$ to find every last HP.

John

gazzol

Reaction score
wondering a couple things about the m90

according to previous threads regarding pre 82 m30 heads have a higher chance of cracking due, does this include the pre 82 m90 heads or were they fixed ?
,head gasket part number in the usa? will a s38b35 head gasket work ?
can motronic 1.3 out of a b35 run an m90 even though compression is a bit higher? i do know about the hardware involved in converting just wondering if that stock tube would work well with the higher comp

what wheel horsepower numbers could one expect from a m90 port matched with short tube ie headers, lightweight flywheel, and mega squirt using a csi intake is 210whp doable
Can't answer about the m90 head cracking, you can't use the s38 head gasket as the engines use different timing chain casings and moreover good quality performance gaskets aren't that expensive. You can use moronic on an m90 if you change the upper timing cover and the camshaft to a moronic one (to take the rotor arm in the end of the cam) or alternatively lock the distributor so it doesn't advance anymore otherwise you will end up with too much ignition advance. You will need a crank signal to run motronic too. As for power be prepared to be disappointed. The engine is stock apart from a marginal increase in compression so there will be a marginal (if any) increase in power. The m30/m90 never makes big power natrually aspirated in road trim.and even with a lot of money thrown at them 260-270 at the flywheel is all you can get with the standard inlet manifold without forced induction. Having said that a good m90 with a fast road cam is a nice tourqey motor and plenty quick enough.

Last edited:

gazzol

Reaction score
So the only real pluses to an M90 are
Nostalgia and maybe bragging rights to getting more HP the hard way?

John
Who said anything about more horsepower? All the power is made by the head not the block, the block just deals with it and sends it to the transmission. Your theory about bragging rights is pretty accurate though

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Who said anything about more horsepower? All the power is made by the head not the block, the block just deals with it and sends it to the transmission. Your theory about bragging rights is pretty accurate though
One way race motors product more power is via tuning for operating at higher RPM (at the cost of longevity). Comments I’ve seen here suggest the M90 is more friendly for that purpose.

gazzol

Reaction score
One way race motors product more power is via tuning for operating at higher RPM (at the cost of longevity). Comments I’ve seen here suggest the M90 is more friendly for that purpose.
Maybe the m90 is a better casting and is therefore stronger or can be bored out more but like I said the block doesn't make any power at all it simply deals with it, cramming more air and fuel in is what makes a bigger bang. If you bore an m30 to 93.4mm and put an 84mm crank in it assuming everything else is the same in both engines then give it take a little they will produce the same power.

foxworth

Reaction score
A bit of LH Owen M90 Eye Candy for you! :)
IMG_7093.jpeg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Both the M90 and the Eurospec M30 10:1 engines are great to install and drive.

We do a little of everything with the M90 engines- from stock to 10:1 custom pistons mated up to B35 heads and bored to 94.5mm with M rods. We emphasize low rpm’s and high torque in our builds.
Last weeks Dyno of a 10:1 euro spec “dirty motor” with a Schrick mild street cam.

Attachments

• E9550560-A73B-47F1-A06B-05A0C6C45855.jpeg
    E9550560-A73B-47F1-A06B-05A0C6C45855.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 175

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And trip Webers the week before on a Euro 3 liter engine.

Attachments

• 21651CA4-0D1B-4417-9F6B-03FC20EA8171.jpeg
    21651CA4-0D1B-4417-9F6B-03FC20EA8171.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 173

bavarian

Reaction score
its more rev happy due to the shorter stroke , the motor mounts are all bolt on when installing in a e9 chassis while the b35 motor mount on one side will need to be modified , all the old e9 engine components will bolt up to an m90, its pretty much carb conversion ready . performance wise the block isn't much different besides being better than the old motors but not better than the new ones , m30b34 has a tougher block than a m30b35. the m106 block in my opinion is the best m30 block due to piston cooling jets, getting harder to find nowadays. if i had to build the perfect m30 it would be a 3.7 stroked and turboed with a m106 block, a m30b35 ported head with a twin scroll top mount turbo on 15 psi flowing into a s38b36 intake manifold and itb's , with this platform you can achieve 500-700 torque easily and reliably

gazzol

Reaction score
its more rev happy due to the shorter stroke ,
My old m90 and my new m30 (86mm crank) both rev to 7K rpm. Ironically the m90 produced more torque than my m30 due to the milder cam and inlet plenum verses itb's. I'm currently getting a b35 head done by a renown race engine builder and I'll be hoping for close to 280 bhp.

reedreed

Reaction score
We tune for drivability. You push the pedal and instant response.
Instant nice big smooth response. A well tuned M90 with a moderate street cam feels like a turbo engine- give it a little gas and it responds. Give it a lot of gas and it really takes off. We aim for max torque at minimum rpm.
Torque is king for us.
Could I contact you to find out more about this project and how realise it Europe were I'm based?

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
The bore and stroke of a b35 are different than a M90 block.

Yep, that's why I was asking if there's system interactions vs boring the B35 to M90 spec. Meaning, are there M90 block changes to specifically allow the bore vs the B35's bore capacity? (Mains changes, webbing modifications, etc.) Could I bore out a B35 block and have it be functionally identical to the M90, or are there advantages to the M90 block?

The water passages are different at deck of block of M90

Right, that's the holes vs oblong shape coolant passages, right? Is the extra head cooling needed, given the B35 hits the same power figures with the modified passages?

The water outlet on a b35 block is missing

You're talking about the one on the back of the head, right? The one that goes to the heater core? Is there a reason you wouldn't use the B35 upper rad hose (or make your own) that includes this outlet? What other system problems does this create?

Basically, is the extra work of finding a M90 block worth the effort vs boring/stroking a B35 block, particularly if you plan to go with custom pistons + rods anyway?
The bore and STROKE of the M90 are different, so it is very difficult (impossible?) to convert an M30 to a faux M90. Need to bore the block, and that may or may not be possible, depending on the cooling passages of the M30. You might just go right through the cylinder wall. You would also need to source a SHORTER stroke M90 crank. Once you are that far in, you might just as well source a real M90.

IIRC Paul Cain stroked an M90 and created a beautiful 3.8 liter engine... That made more sense than starting from an M30. Not sure if he used an M30 crank, or something more custom.

M90/M88/S38:
Bore 94.3 mm, stroke: 84mm

M30/B32 ("3.3" liter) (added)
Bore: 89, Stroke: 86mm

M30/B35: (corrected)
Bore: 92.5, Stroke: 86mm

The larger bore of the M90 means that the cylinders, are very close together (only 6.6 mm apart). A typical failure mechanism in these engines is head gasket blow-by between cylinders (AMHIK). This also results in different water passages in the block. It is common to look for the side water passage on the block as an M90 identifier, and this was the case for early M90 blocks. it is my understanding that the later incarnations of this block did not have that. The M88/S38 engines used different pistons and (obviously) a different head, and they also used a dual row timing chain, since there is a lot more valve train to drive.

The M90 was originally an offshoot of the M49 racing engine. It was the block developed for the M88 engine using in the Euro M635. The M88 and it's later incarnation as the S38 (in the US M6) used a DOHC head, and higher compression pistons. Apparently the BMW Motorsport folks wanted to test the integrity of the new architecture (specifically that close web spacing between the cylinders), so they fitted an SOHC head to the new block, and this became the M90. It was used on the early E12 based 635's (all Euro cars).

The M90 is notable for its very strong and wide torque curve. I have raced ("spirited driving") many M6 cars in the hills above Silicon Valley in my M90 powered 1980 635, and obliterated them on uphills and in the twisties. The car is light, and it just powers out of turns and up hills. Out on coast highway, they passed my like I was driving a Yugo. I once traded cars with an M6 owner (Pete Kelly) on a group drive. My observations supported my experiences in the hills. The M90 torque comes on almost immediately, and holds on to redline. The M6 (S38 engine) is pretty pedestrian until about 3500 RPM, at which time it feels like you have lit the afterburner. Very definitely different engines..

I have attached an interesting and detailed history of the M49, M88, S38 and M90 engines that was published many years ago on the FirstFives site.

Attachments

• History of the S38 Engine.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
M90/M88/S38B35:
Bore 94.3 mm, stroke: 84mm

M30:
Bore: 84, Stroke: 89mm

Isn't it:
M90/M88/S38
Bore 93,4mm, stroke 84mm

M30B35
Bore 92mm, stroke 86mm

The rare E3 M30B33 has the "stroker crank" with 88,4mm stroke.

Agree on everything else! :)

Last edited: