Blue leather source

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am having some e21 seats reupholstered (for the coupe). The shop has not been able to find any of the BMW Marine blue leather (L4141?). After checking with their suppliers they say it is no longer available. Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

The proposed alternative is a similar Mercedes leather that has a bit more texture to it. Waiting for a sample.

thanks,

Last edited:

Tom P

Reaction score
Sven, I tried to find the same but couldn't. The blue BMW samples I received didn't match well. I ended up going with a Porsche color. I can try to get you the code so you can compare it yourself. Still not perfect but I liked it best...

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. Yes please forward the Porsche color number. Do you have a sample left over that you would be willing to send to me? I suppose that ideally, I would redo the rear seats for it all to match either way. The color between the seats and door cards is a bit different anyhow.

Tom P

Reaction score
Blue Leather Option

Hi Sven,

I don't have a small sample but I know it was either Porsche color 958 or 973 - cobalt blue or midnight blue. I made my choice between those and again, not a perfect match but for my carpet and trim colors, I felt it worked out. I chose to do the rear seats so all the seats match too but you're right, it's not a direct match to the door cards. I'd be curious which Mercedes color is close. Might be another good reference point to compare against.

Hope this helps...

Tom P

Reaction score
photo...

Hi Sven,

Here's a photo for your reference. Just snapped it in the garage with a shop light on the rear seats for you.

Attachments

• IMGP1251.jpg
    IMGP1251.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 195

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Sven,

Here's a photo for your reference. Just snapped it in the garage with a shop light on the rear seats for you.

wow ! it seems a very nice leather, a nice place to rest ! but as you said is a different blue tone though, panels are a bit violet blue, anyway it is a good combination

i found and used a perfect colour match vinyl for my rear armrests, not leather anyway

check it here:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11320&page=4

flobloc

Reaction score
Marine Blue Leather

Jesus, do you know where to find a good colour match for my marine blue leather interior? My seats need to be replaced. Thanks, Chris

wow ! it seems a very nice leather, a nice place to rest ! but as you said is a different blue tone though, panels are a bit violet blue, anyway it is a good combination

i found and used a perfect colour match vinyl for my rear armrests, not leather anyway

check it here:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11320&page=4

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Jesus, do you know where to find a good colour match for my marine blue leather interior? My seats need to be replaced. Thanks, Chris

hi chris,
i do not know where to find real leather, but i do have perfect matching blue vinyl
i assume that this vinyl could be used for seats too, but i am not an expert
it is automotive quality vinyl
just in case that you do not find an exact matching leather, have you considered a colour combination ?
my car has ivory colour leather on the seats and looks nice, IMHO

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Leather update

Below are photos of the three samples of blue leather from World Upholstery. Left is BMW marine blue, and the two right are Porsche colors. The color differences are very subtle, but they are different. The third photos exaggerates the difference. You really need to get samples to see in person. I ended up with the BMW blue, but the other two are very nice as well. Textures are all different.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 129
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 140

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
They used to be nearby in Goleta, but have since moved to Santa Paula.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting how the BMW color almost seems to have a tinge of green in it. Perhaps it's a green cast from the background.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would not put too much stock in the colors from these photos.

The center swatch has more red (i.e. purplish tinge), the right one is the more "pure" blue of the three, and the left, (BMW) has a bit more white (the blue has a grayer tone).