Big warning on Cohline fuel hose. We are replacing all Cohline 2122 we have installed.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Absolute fire hazard from defective product. Car towed in yesterday with 1 1/2 year old hose squirting gas onto the firewall.
The fabric on Cohline 2122 conceals the rapid cracking that is occuring.
This defective hose is being talked about all over the internet with Cohline refusing to acknowledge.
IMG_4628.jpeg
IMG_4626.jpeg
IMG_4624.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4627.jpeg
    IMG_4627.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4623.jpeg
    IMG_4623.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4625.jpeg
    IMG_4625.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Redrumm3

Reaction score
I had the same problem, started to smell fuel. Hoses were all cracked, they didn't last me even one year. I didn't realize the problem was so wide spread. I went away from the cloth braided hose so I could keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is the temp rating for this hose? Edit: temperature range of -30°C to +60°C
Based on previous work experience, I would suspect that the plasticizers are baked out of the hose.

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is the temp rating for this hose?
Based on previous work experience, I would suspect that the plasticizers are baked out of the hose.
They are a rubber type compound, should not have any plasticizer in them to begin with.

Well, they should be but who knows what they are made off as they are failing....

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are a rubber type compound, should not have any plasticizer in them to begin with.

Well, they should be but who knows what they are made off as they are failing....
Rubber Aviation hose rated for Operating temperature -65 to 250F that I worked with years ago did and we had very similar cracking in high temp application. This hose is rated up to 60 deg C (140 F). FWIW

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 1914 KisselKar has brass fuel lines & 1933 Packard Twelve had chromed brass fuel lines. Both with redundant fuel filters.

Makes one worry about fabric braided rubber on older BMWs. Had one of these fail on my 2002Tii in the garage.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting read

What we are finding is that customers restoring older vehicles are buying fuel hose on appearance rather than it’s suitability for use with modern fuel, obviously we think that this is a dangerous practice and is to be avoided for safety reasons.

In our opinion an old Porsche with modern fuel hose being used on the road is much preferable to an old Porsche burnt out at the side of the road due to an engine room fire because the owner was too concerned with form over function.

WHY DO YOU STILL SELL THESE OTHER TYPES OF FUEL HOSE IF THEY ARE NO LONGER SUITABLE?

We sell hose worldwide, what is happening in your country or ours may be different to what’s happening elsewhere, there is a still a need for old spec fuel hose and hose listed for use with fuel can be also used in other applications, it is not always used for automotive fuel.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My recent braided fuel hose order was from Belmetric and it is the Flennor brand, have never had any issues with their hose.

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you are using Cohline, 2240 would be my suggestion. It is rated up 100% methanol/ethanol, maximum temperature of 125 C, short term to 150 C. I've used it on several cars for several years now with no degradation while always using 10% ethanol.

The smallest bend radius (70mm for 2240) must be observed, which is easy to overlook.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i know that the braided hose is what we are looking for with vintage cars. but i would rather use non-braded hose suitable for high pressure and high temperature and avoid the potential of fuel hose bursting.

on the e30 m3 SIG today, there was discussion about fuel hose.
one person asked - "I need some 8x13 fuel hose and the BMW stuff is really high priced. Does anyone have any experience with Rein hoses? They are less than half the price of the BMW brand. Alternatively, any experiences with a brand called Cohline?"

and it was mentioned - "do not *EVER* use the CRP or Rein (same company) branded fuel hose; frankly, its absolute shit. wholesale suppliers like Worldpac and IMC still sell it, even though many folks have complained about the sub-par quality. i replaced all the fuel hoses in my e28 m5 when the engine was out 5 years ago with the CRP 8x13 hose, and over the course of 2 years/4500 miles, they had all dry rotted and cracked. glad i caught it when i did;"

one of the higher quality fuel line suggested was Gates Barricade. It was also mentioned that Continental makes a lot of the fuel line for BMW - there are a couple of types - some 50psi, some 100psi ... the 100psi also goes to 275 degrees. the bottom line is you need to know what you are buying.

e30austin

Reaction score
i know that the braided hose is what we are looking for with vintage cars. but i would rather use non-braded hose suitable for high pressure and high temperature and avoid the potential of fuel hose bursting.

on the e30 m3 SIG today, there was discussion about fuel hose.
one person asked - "I need some 8x13 fuel hose and the BMW stuff is really high priced. Does anyone have any experience with Rein hoses? They are less than half the price of the BMW brand. Alternatively, any experiences with a brand called Cohline?"

and it was mentioned - "do not *EVER* use the CRP or Rein (same company) branded fuel hose; frankly, its absolute shit. wholesale suppliers like Worldpac and IMC still sell it, even though many folks have complained about the sub-par quality. i replaced all the fuel hoses in my e28 m5 when the engine was out 5 years ago with the CRP 8x13 hose, and over the course of 2 years/4500 miles, they had all dry rotted and cracked. glad i caught it when i did;"

one of the higher quality fuel line suggested was Gates Barricade. It was also mentioned that Continental makes a lot of the fuel line for BMW - there are a couple of types - some 50psi, some 100psi ... the 100psi also goes to 275 degrees. the bottom line is you need to know what you are buying.

haha, that was me that commented about the CRP fuel hose on the e30m3 SIG, and i came here to offer the same sentiments.

i only use the BMW green stripe fuel hose. yes, it's a rip off. i don't care, it's worth the peace of mind to know my car won't burn down because i wanted to save $200 and use some cheap ass fuel hose. i still run exclusively non-ethanol in all my cars, whenever possible. that would be my vote, but i know some folks have had good results with Gates - YMMV.