Bavaria in Largo FL (NMNA)

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Because I'm procrastinating on a Wednesday, here's an E3 from Craigslist:

"Here is a 1973 BMW Bavaria project....odometer shows 40,728..it has been sitting on jack stands, in a temp-controlled garage for 25 years...body looks relatively rust-free...passenger side fender looks to be replaced and front grill looks incomplete.....recently, using an external fuel supply, the engine fired right up and sounded great.....manual transmission....brakes don't seem to work, so cylinders probably shot...these cars are just starting to gain value in the market and here's your chance to get in early...In this situation, photos don't reveal enough info, so if you are interested, I can meet you at the garage and go through the car....title in hand...Thanks for looking! UPDATE: learning more about the history of the car.....this guys wife drove it in the 70's and 80's.....then sold it....during that time, it was hit on the drivers side and panels were replaced and re-painted....then it found its way back to the original owner...The owner passed away recently and I am tring to put some cash in the wife's hand,. SOOOO....I am lowering the price to 3500. FIRM"

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/largo-1973-bmw-bavaria-project/7641935574.html

1689801761344.png

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"But as you can see in photo #8 I didn't remove anything. Not a chrome strip, not a reflector, nothing, nada" A glass-in, everything on, el cheapo paint job. Sad.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"But as you can see in photo #8 I didn't remove anything. Not a chrome strip, not a reflector, nothing, nada" A glass-in, everything on, el cheapo paint job. Sad.
Ha ha yeah you are right...I didn't get into it enough to notice that, especially with all the dust on the black, inside and out. Maybe mold on the interior? Anyhow, not for me, hopefully someone saves it.

Agave or whatever it is, is still a nice color on a Bav. Hopefully someone takes it back to original getting it to at least be a roller again.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Doesn't the inside engine bay sticker say "......z"? And wasnt that the side wrecked? I think maybe a replacement fender/door in Agave...Never seen an Agave with anything but a tan interior, either...hard to say with the pictures at hand...

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agave, Mintgrun, Turkis and Tundra are the greens I know of. Not sure of a green vintage BMW that would have a "z" in it. They probably bought a Schwarz sticker and stuck it on over the black respray would be my guess.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Doesn't the inside engine bay sticker say "......z"? And wasnt that the side wrecked? I think maybe a replacement fender/door in Agave...Never seen an Agave with anything but a tan interior, either...hard to say with the pictures at hand...

Good point on the interior color. Per ad it says the passenger side fender may have been replaced. Driver’s side fender was green, as was the passenger side.

72E85F10-C95D-4807-ABEE-9FC071EA8019.jpeg

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
...and "the driver's side"...further down. I wondered if the panels were all salvaged from the same green car. Maybe someone on the left coast of FL will take a look...

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Manual transmission when it is in the car! Would love some shots of the undercarriage.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Amazon green
Thank you, I knew I was missing one, and I think that paint that is showing is Amazon, or what everyone is saying, maybe just the donor car panels from the accident with the black laid over. That makes sense. I knew one original Schwarz E3 that the owner of Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa owned but it needed a lot of work and not sure if it was ever saved, he sold that a while ago, had some major rust issues.

Then my friend John B. owns one and it is really cool. Needs some work to really make it pop, but wouldn't take much to get it to next level. I'm pretty sure it is original Schwarz. I rarely see an original E3 Schwarz up for sale. This could possibly be one of them, but this wilI take a lot of investment, elbow grease etc. And I might say, don't expect to get any kind of return out of it other than sheer enjoyment compared to putting all that work and money into a coupe.

Of course initial outlay is much less than a coupe in similar condition. GL to anyone willing to take it on. It would be fun to see the progress...

If you squint real hard, to me it does look like it might be an original Schwarz sticker...so...pretty cool if that's the case.

Another thing after looking at it again, if they were too lazy to take the reflectors off and trim when painting, I highly doubt they would paint the whole engine bay. The replacement fenders being amazon and the original car Schwarz makes more and more sense. Anyhow...

Last edited:

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you squint real hard, to me it does look like it might be an original Schwarz sticker...so...pretty cool if that's the case.
I’ve got too much free time.
Zoom in a little and adjust the contrast. It does say Schwarz. So quite likely a factory black car. Both front fenders show remnants of under lying green. Engine compartment is black. If they were too lazy to remove the trim to paint the fenders black they wouldn’t have bothered painting around the engine either.
It’s priced right.
IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg