Bav for sale in Bay Area

Mike Goble

Reaction score
NMNA

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4482255920.html

00x0x_dK4SWhIagzt_600x450.jpg

Aleksey

Reaction score
call me crazy, but I got it last night... still can't believe that I (well, we) did this:

I called Mark (the seller) yesterday around 3pm, and after about 5 minutes on the phone I tell him: send me more photos and if I like everything I see I'll jump on the plane and fly out from Orange County to San Fran now.

While I was driving home from work I receive photos from him, and I liked what I saw :) I get home, tell my wife that I'm buying plane ticket to San Fran to go and buy the car, she tells me: are you crazy!? I'm going with you! (I love her to death for all her support in my crazy ventures). We get to San Fran at 8pm, Mark and his wife pick us up at the airport in the Bav! (and Yes, I did spot it in the dark from far away!) we drive for about 40 min to their house while Mark shares stories of the Bav's history and all the updates that he's done to it (E12 front suspension, 3.0 euro engine, 5 speed from 4 speed update, factory installed LSD etc), tells me about rally history of the car etc. There are some things that need attention and some things that need soon attention, so I'll be using search and asking you guys for advice soon!

By 9:30pm I'm done test driving it (and that involved meeting a cool local cop who lets us go with out ticket). We do the money-car exchange and by 10pm me and my wife jump on the road and head down to OC! We made it home by 6am with only 2 stops for fuel and snack. I'm at work now, Bav is at home resting after a trouble-less 7 hour drive, I did not sleep for the last 30 hours, I'm hella exited and a bit tired... But I finally got my dream in my garage - YES!

PS: to my lovely Wife: Honey I love You!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey, it's a coupe with 4 doors. Probably one of the finest sedans ever made for public consumption- I was eyeing it too- my wife would NOT have been as supportive- Sounds like you have a couple of "keepers" there. Not sure how 7 hours with the wife would go in ANY car from my side and don't plan on finding out any time soon :)

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Awesome! I was tempted to pick it up and have Sahara buddies in the garage. :)

When I got my Coupe, I ended up driving down 880 in the east bay in stop and go traffic. I thought that was a baptism of fire for a 44 year old car that had not been in my care. Couldn't imagine a 7 hour jaunt!

When I sold my TR8 a similar thing happened. Couple flew up, looked at it, money was exchanged, and then off they went from Santa Rosa to San Diego in the rain. I was blown away that they trusted an old English car, and Lucas that much.

Aleksey

Reaction score
Thank you all! It's now been a few days since we got her home, but I've only been able to spend just few hours with the car, which is sad, but could not move or cancel prior arrangements for this whole long weekend, so...

But so far "laundry" list is growing:
Change of all fluids ( eng., trans., and diff. oil, brake fluid, coolant etc)
Adjusting clutch (it's engaging when pedal is all the way to the floor)
Steam cleaning engine bay, it's quite oily around the top of the block and at the oil pan, well the whole bay is a mess...
Getting brakes to stop pulling, it's to the right a bit
Fixing drivers seat, it has right side broken or loose parts... Plus cushion has spring sticking through
Getting new safety belts
Replacing windshield and all rubber around it
Fixing Heater blower motor..
Cleaning, lots of cleaning...
Possible spot surface rust repairs...

There are other things I might be forgetting now, but I'm sure my list will grow :)

Tundra

Reaction score
Great story. Good luck and have fun with it.

I had bought one 35 years ago. It was my third BMW. To this day, it was the best car I ever owned. It was incredibly fast for those days.

To me, a coupe vs a Bav is a difficult choice although I currently own a coupe.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's a great-looking car. Nice pick-up. I have to say those style 29s actually suit the car well. Didn't figure that. I'd love to see more photos of it when you get the opportunity!

Aleksey

Reaction score
Once again THANK YOU all for the warm welcome wishes!
I was only able to spend this past Saturday with the car... and boy I tell you...
I was going to do a quick run through a hand car wash and then spend some time cleaning it in my garage. Well it looked like car did not see a car wash in a looooong time, since poor guy at the car wash spent just 20 minutes scrubbing all the glass surfaces of the car, in and out... so and hour later after a "hand car wash" was done, it was time for some clay bar cleaning of exterior. That took me the rest of the day, exterior was also so badly contaminated from car being parked outside that I was only able to do trunk, roof and a hood. And where as trunk and roof got some what of the shine back, hood is a goner... plus with multiple surface rust spots on it, I'm starting to think about ways I can save it. After that I applied coat of wax and polishing took the rest of the day. Fenders, doors and the rest of the car (including filthy interior) are still untouched. So no new pics just yet, I only have old pics from seller.

Few things that I need to take care of rather sooner or later:
-oil leak
-tranny leak
-oily engine (possible gasket)
-Driver's seat cushion!!!
-Windshield
-seat belts

Questions for you locals in OC, LA and SD areas:
1.Could you recommend a shop that can do all of my Bav's fluids changed and do a "walk around" of a car and see what else needs to be done/fixed.
2.Please let me know who or where I can get my windshield replaced w/gaskets, on the budget preferably.
3.Where can I order front seat belts? (dealer quoted first $390 then NLA)
4.Any local upholstery guys that did your seats? I need to have Driver's and Passengers cushions built. and also driver's seat fixed - backrest rocks on the left side.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!!

PS: what do you guys know of http://bavariaautorepair.com/ services? Pricy? Any other suggestions for maintenance and possible carbs/headgasket/valve adjustment shops?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the OC I recommend Jeff Tighe in Costa Mesa, 1974 Charle St, 949-887-7350.

Get familiar with www.penskeparts.com for exploded parts diagrams, use Tomkinson if ordering online, much cheaper. This will give you an idea of what's available. www.tomkinsonbmwparts.com

Seat belts: search for Al E. his alias is bluedevils, he makes belts for around $300 a pair. The e3 has hidden front retractors so make sure he knows this.

Universal Upholstery www.universalupholstery.com on 17th St Costa Mesa, John is an old world craftsman.

Finally, bring it to Cars & Coffee and the locals will give you lots of advice, we are there every Saturday.

Fstede1

Reaction score
Second Chris's recommendation on Jeff at T&P Mototsports. Jeff just completed my punch list on my recently purchased coupe. All work was completed as requested and was done on time. If you want work done right Jeff's your man.