BaT 1973 3.0CS, 'Light Blue' one

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is another one.
1973_bmw_3.0cs_dj2a8225-84294.jpg

Looks like a nice driver quality.
Front bumper delete (with addition of air dam). Rear bumper alignment is off (lateral segment seems horizontal, but the left wing is a bit rotated up IMO)
Not much detail in listing nor pics showing many of the points of interest we'd want to see - but seems to be a clean-ish car.
Looks like Weber's - don't know if they are 32/36 or 38's......
AC work? Dunno...
Window's work? Dunno
Not much info on corrosion on the 'usual areas'...
Seems to be a nice southern CA car.

I was going post on BaT and ask some of these things, but - I'll let the seller first enter the discussion and see how it goes.
Hopefully well....

John-T

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Seems like a nice California blue plate car. Under the hood needs some tidying up.
The color difference between the engine bay and the exterior is annoying to me.
Original Nachtblau Metallic / tan interior would be a lovely combination

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I went ahead and poked at the seller (a bit) for some of the basic info that I would think folks would want to know.

The seller has listed aver 400 cars on BaT, so - I am a bit disappointed that the description and presentation is a vague as it is....

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Its a CA car so at least we wont need to suffer through another CA registration debate on BAT

:D
Let's debate if they should have removed the spacer now that the car is registered...
And kept the black decal behind the grill.
Nice car.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I predict a RNM -
Looks like the seller is not going to put any effort to provide any meaningful info (no pics of the usual locations, carb type and so on)
In reviewing their selling history, with very few exceptions - all of their listing have been of modern cars and we all know buyers of these E9's care about a whole different set of things that someone looking at a 2016 Lexus.

If I get an itch tonight, I may poke at the seller to provide the info (and not just throw the 'you can do a PPI if you want to' response) - but if they choose not to - no skin off my nose.

Edit - I have a response set up for tomorrow (Weds) to go on the auction. Just don't have the energy tonight to get into it.
Although - I do have a decent amount of my mantra of 'never argue with an idiot' in the back of my mind that may keep my hands in my pockets on this . Will see how I feel in the AM.

Last edited:

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
What's the deal with people making driving videos while holding their phone in one hand and attempting to drive with the other? This isn't the only one I've seen like that. Stark contrast to the shiny photos.

Also, no mention of the suspension.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looking at the new (added) pictures.....
'Light blemishes' in the finish are not good - the pics show there is growing corrosion under the finish. Those two spots are just the first to show. I bet in a year there are a several more. Been there, done that (and now fixed... )
'Carb pic' - Well, not sure what to say on that as I believe both the different Weber's look the same from the top. And... he does not realize that. Will be interesting to see if anyone points that out.

This just goes to show the lack of knowledge the seller has on these cars.
While he has had several hundred cars on Bat, he has listed very few cars of this vintage (at least that I could see going back a ways)
He is approaching selling this car as he would a 2022 Camry.... IMO.

I have decided to not post any more on this auction (at least as of now).

Last edited:

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
This just goes to show the lack of knowledge the seller has on these cars.
While he has had several hundred cars on Bat, he has listed very few cars of this vintage (at least that I could see going back a ways)
He is approaching selling this car as he would a 2022 Camry.... IMO.

I have decided to not post any more on this auction (at least as of now).

Very likely so. Been quite a bit of interest on BAT of late on E9s so not surprised to see so many in succession. Clearly many people making a living, or at least a healthy side-hustle on BAT. Generally all are enthusiasts, but difficult to be an expert in every make, model, year, and unique set ups.

The experts here can help guide prospective buyers on any details glossed over or miss-represented. It's still each prospective buyers responsibility to vet the car for themselves. Getting into classics like these without some baseline knowledge will lead to disappointment and frustration on the buyer's part. Ruining what can otherwise be a fantastic ownership experience.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love the way he glosses over the sunroof "blemishes" in the video as if it's no biggie. But hey, it's an Alpyna.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love the way he glosses over the sunroof "blemishes" in the video as if it's no biggie. But hey, it's an Alpyna.

No kidding, funny how the rust bubbles around the sunroof were not part of the original photo package. It doesn't look Fjord to me but I might have to see it in person to know for sure.

Andrew, he just posted a picture of your car. This car will look exactly like your car - just add the front bumper. :)

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So calipers are new in rear

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i hope it won't prove to be true - that the least expensive CS purchased is often the most costly

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seems to be a decent seller- no hustle and quick responses.