b35 Install Tomorrow

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
L shaped b35 ICV. I will check center pin. Don set the TPS for me and he's never let me down! BMW has it listed at $296, Rockauto off brand units at $150.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Used idle valves are all over eBay.

One other thing to check. Does the throttle return to its stop completely? A local couper had this problem with his Motronic 1.3. The throttle was a bit sticky near closing and would not close by itself and hence not trigger the TPS idle position.

To get the idle how much of the hose end did you have to close off?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Throttle not sticking and returns completely. Had to close off most of the ICV. I could vary the idle as much as I wanted

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have run out of ideas. The fact that you did not have to close the hose all the way to achieve idle tells me that you probably don't have a vacuum leak in your intake parts - good.

One way to test the valve is to disconnect the plug. Connect 12v to the center pin and then try grounding each side pin one at a time. One way should open the valve all the way, the other will close it all the way.

The valve does vibrate when it is operating, but that may be hard to detect with the engine running.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I borrowed another used ICV, same issue. Also lubed mine and twisted the cover when held in a vice which can change it a bit. I've ordered a new Bosch ICV too.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have used brake clean on sticky valves on E28 M30 motors.
They get gummy. It won't hurt anything?
The electrical test should help determine if it is functioning.

Also when Don set the TPS did he do it electrically or mechanically?

I have seen many bad TPS switches on later M30 motors.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm sure you've seen and read this.
http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/dljet/dljet.pdf

I'm not as familiar with D-Jet.

Another thing that has happened is a thermal sensor that tells the ECU throttle valve and cold start valve that the engine is cold or hot.
If not functioning the default is rich and higher rpm.

I think it talks about this in the article.
Might give this some thought since the ICV seems to be Ok I guess if the one you tried is working.
Just a thought and I know how frustrating things like this can be?

Let us know and good luck.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After three ICVs Mike noticed that we didn't hear the TPS click when opening the throttle. Don confirmed that could be the issue. We reset the TPS and Bingo! We now have steady idle. And I was almost ready to blame the two wires in the ICV harness. Thanks to Don once again and Mike's calming presence and logic.

Next up, remove the lower rad hose to fix the leak in the upper timing cover, the bottom portion most likely the issue. That and replace the tranny reverse light switch before getting it off of the jack stands. I will get an O2 bung installed, hook up the sensor and check results. Everyone here has given some great advice as well as positive thoughts so thank you!

:p

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
After three ICVs Mike noticed that we didn't hear the TPS click when opening the throttle. Don confirmed that could be the issue. We reset the TPS and Bingo! We now have steady idle. And I was almost ready to blame the two wires in the ICV harness. Thanks to Don once again and Mike's calming presence and logic.

Next up, remove the lower rad hose to fix the leak in the upper timing cover, the bottom portion most likely the issue. That and replace the tranny reverse light switch before getting it off of the jack stands. I will get an O2 bung installed, hook up the sensor and check results. Everyone here has given some great advice as well as positive thoughts so thank you!

:p

Yea!!!!
Just an FYI. There is a little cable you can make up to check a TPS electrically.
I have one in my tool box.
The click sound is also very good as evidenced here.
Gary

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris called me on the morning of the first starting of his new motor. He wanted a second set of eyes to look for fuel, coolant, and oil leaks. He had everything pretty much set and ready to go other than connecting the fuel pump and the battery. He removed the plugs so we could check for starter engagement, spark and eventually oil pressure. We connected the battery, Chris turned the key and the starter spun the motor as expected. Not quite enough RPM's to turn off the oil light. We then checked for spark, bingo we had spark! Then we put the plugs back in and connected the fuel pump. A few cranks to let the pump prime and boom Chris' coupe fired back to life!!! I was very impressed since most projects I have seen like this take a bit of diagnosing before the engine finally fires; not in this case. There was some diagnosis that needed to occur to figure out the high and hunting idle issues, the remedies turned out to be simple.

All I can say is that Chris has done a meticulous job as we all would expect from him. Chris took his time and the end results show his great attention to detail.

Congratulations Chris, I'm pretty sure this project has helped rekindle the love affair with your coupe! Now hurry up and fix that oil leak, I want to go for a cruise!

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oil leak fixed, reverse light tranny switch fixed (I just pulled one of the spade connectors out slightly as it had constant continuity). Took it around the block but I need to get the O2 sensor bung installed for it to run even nicer. I will follow conventional break-in philosophy for 300-500 miles and also change oil then. So far so good, guess I shouldn't have worried so much before turning the key the first time. And thanks again to Mike, couldn't have done it without him. Or Don either!

Attachments

• IMG_3244.jpg
    IMG_3244.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow Chris, you have done an impeccable job. it looks great. would love to look closely at the way you did some of the wiring ... to change some of the way mine was done.

now go enjoy the coupe ... get it broken in quickly so we can hear what you really think of the new engine.

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Amazing look and job Chris. A testament to the blood, sweat and tears of coupe ownership. And in your case, a good investment of your own sweat equity!!

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What exhaust are you using with the new setup. I was asked what I wanted to do given the length of the stahl headers and the size of my old pipes. (don please chime in)

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks great Chris.
Good job and lots of hard work but very rewarding when done.

Done????? no it's never done. :wink:

Gary