Andrew Wilson's '73 CSi

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Drove Athena to VSR to re-address front suspension geometry. Turns out the camber is not even on both sides for some unknown reason. A full degree less on the passenger side, which after driving 11K miles, caused the outer passenger tire edge to wear excessively. The current solution is to install adjustable camber plates. Will most likely get 2 new tires too.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Picked up Athena today. Noticeable difference in handling with 1.2° negative camber on both sides, much more neutral trough the on/off ramps. Steering is lighter than with the fixed plates yet still responsive as before. Doesn't look stock anymore and I'm OK with that.

IMG_2881.JPG
IMG_2882.JPG
IMG_2883.JPG

bdigel

Reaction score
I didn't know they were still making those ! Great solution to the issue you had .

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With 1.2 degrees negative you can expect to get wear on the inside shoulders. I had this issue with Carl's fixed plates which add only 0.7 degrees negative, keep an eye on your tires.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris -- you use the past tense in reference to your experience with Carl's fixed plates. What is your current setup?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am going to remove them when I install my adjustable front struts from Paul Cain and add the `74 sway bar. I got less than 20K miles on the front tires.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Double checked the alignment spec sheet dated October 27, 2016. -1.2° was not correct.

Initial L: -1°
Initial R: -1/4°

Final L: -9/16°
Final R: -9/16°

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just figured that by installing my neg camber pltes that I would replacing tires sooner. Mine will prbably dry rot before the mileage wear.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo Gray's ignition tumbler failed on his E9 last month. So seeing the writing on the wall for Athena and having been sufficiently warned by 3 mechanics. I have elected to buy a new ignition tumbler before it fails and while it's available. So I don't have 3 keys we're replacing the door locks too. With a separate key for the trunk like it is now.

EYEHAVEYOU

Reaction score
Saw your car at the new Canaan c&c and we chatted briefly - absolutely beautiful and really enjoyed reading this journal.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm not sure why the cylinder would fail. if the pins are in good shape and you keep them lubricated (a little graphite) ... it should keep on going. unless a spring breaks and chews something internal up. i would worry much more about the electrical part. cylinders are not much more than pins and springs in slots with a rotating piece that the key goes in ... if the pins fit flush in the cylinder edge, the cylinder will rotate. if they don't meet flush it won't rotate.

the only thing that could break would be the actuator that engages the electrical part ... once the cylinder rotates with the key.