Air conditioning condensor fan upgrade options?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded or found another fan that will fit in the place of the stock a/c condensor fan which appears to have more hub surface area than blades? Also by now the motor probably draws a lot of amperage after 42 years.

I am considering trying something on this topic and am wondering if it's already been done before I give it a shot.

Am looking for something bolt on or minimal fabrication. Quiet and efficient.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Junk yards are full of e30 fans.
Easy to install
Cheap
Works good!

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve do you suspect your fan isn't up to snuff or just looking for more airflow for low speed motoring cooling performance? I disassembled mine on the E3 (same as stock E9) and cleaned it out, inspected brushes, bearings etc. Have you tried that?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did the same when I did the a/c upgrade and it works fine, but yes I am looking at any efficiency improvements that can be had. But I also have a modus of fixing something that isn't broken.

Steve do you suspect your fan isn't up to snuff or just looking for more airflow for low speed motoring cooling performance? I disassembled mine on the E3 (same as stock E9) and cleaned it out, inspected brushes, bearings etc. Have you tried that?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Flex-a-Lite option

Steve,

Here is what I have done on two installs. Although, for the most recent install the bracket is a bit different and mounted on the front of the fan (so the fan is closer to the condenser).

It is a 14" Flex-a-Lite 114 (Trimline reversible fan).

Attachments

• FanComparison.jpg
    FanComparison.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Bracket1.jpg
    Bracket1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Bracket2.jpg
    Bracket2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 121
  • ACInstalled.jpg
    ACInstalled.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 137

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sven,
Where did you get the bracket? Or did you make it?

Drew

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Made them. 1/8" x 3/4" steel bar and short pieces of tube that just fit a 6 mm bolt - and some welding.