A new law prohibits the sale of car spare parts between individuals in Spain

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
approved around the end of january,

plain and simple, obviously you can buy a front end of a coupe and plant it in your garage wall, but you are not allowed to buy a set of preowned calipers and install them in your car

you can only get preowned parts from an officially recognised scrapyard

do you have anything similar in your countries?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not in the USA, sounds like the scrapyard companies got to the politicians there. That sucks bigtime.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
How can they enforce it?!

not sure, it is something new but the starting point would be prohibiting the for sale adverts
another point that has been considered is that you must scrap your car at an official scrapyard, well so from now on they will only accept your car if it is complete, so you can not keep parts
another point is that you must complete a tchnical inspection every three or two or once a year, and they will check the car there
not sure if they will mark every single preowned part so it can be traced,...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
not sure, it is something new but the starting point would be prohibiting the for sale adverts
another point that has been considered is that you must scrap your car at an official scrapyard, well so from now on they will only accept your car if it is complete, so you can not keep parts
another point is that you must complete a tchnical inspection every three or two or once a year, and they will check the car there
not sure if they will mark every single preowned part so it can be traced,...
as the owner of a beautiful classic car, you could protest if they tried to put a mark on a part that was not there originally. ask them if they are going to pay for the dimished value.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is hard to imagine that scrapyard owners are that politically organized and powerful. No, I see this as part of a much larger effort to get drivers out of cars (or at least cars with internal combustion engines). Starting at this end of the spectrum, they are primarily targeting poorer people who work on their own cars out of necessity. These folks generally are not too politically active, so this probably was enacted with the notion that it won't create too much push back.

(Proponents of this nonsense probably forgot about the classic car guys, who are both wealthier and more politically active). (Moreover, there likely was no thought to the notion that sometimes a used part is safer than the available new ones.) Once the parts supply dries up, folks have to get out of their old cars. And they will have made it hard to get into another old car as a replacement.

Recall that the Obama Administration proposed a set of regulations that would have banned the sale of "racing" parts for street cars. I am rather offended by the notion that government bureaucrats know better which parts I should be using on my cars than I do, but it gives you a flavor of how they think about these types of things.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I suppose that means it would be difficult to get anything sent to you from outside the country, it might have to be declared and inspected at the border. So unfortunate.

Rek

Reaction score
It must be hard to police a law such as this. There are so many ways to get around it. Whatever the motive, what is the sanction for breaking this particular law?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a way to tax the secondary economy or black market. Tax is added to any sale through scrapyards and parts dealers. I'll bet this happening across a range of goods and services.

It's also a way to stop the sale of parts from stolen and broken up cars. Car thieves will be forming a lobby group.

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
Jesus,

Please tread carefully. I am reminded that in 1982 it was an illegal incursion by a shady group of Spanish-speaking (Argentinian) scrap dealers that gave rise to the Falklands war. Please try to avoid further unnecessary bloodshed over this matter. Or would you like me to send British gunboats over to restore peace and justice, just as we did in las Malvinas to the eternal credit of Mrs Thatcher? Best wishes, John.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Jesus,

Please tread carefully. I am reminded that in 1982 it was an illegal incursion by a shady group of Spanish-speaking (Argentinian) scrap dealers that gave rise to the Falklands war. Please try to avoid further unnecessary bloodshed over this matter. Or would you like me to send British gunboats over to restore peace and justice, just as we did in las Malvinas to the eternal credit of Mrs Thatcher? Best wishes, John.

many thanks for this John,
I have always put all my hopes in the unfathomable empire of the Great-great Britain
and in the spanish inquisition,...
send those boats full of lovely preowned coupe parts,...;-)

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
deQ, does this mean our supply line from you is closed? Are you still able to trade over the net and on this forum?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
deQ,

i guess we will have to ship to an out of country location ... you drive over and load up your car and drive home to the privacy of your garage. very clandestine.