A/C Temp Probe and Rheostat/Temp Controller

rb1971

Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these in good working condition that they would part with?

NB: Not the fan switch (which I have and works fine).

Thanks in advance,
John

rb1971

Reaction score
deQ - the BMW one is the wrong size! I've gotten three of them.

Apparently 02 Salvage here in the bay area has the right size.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I shared this with John this morning, but as I get my A/C going for the first time, I never knew both the fan and temp switches need to be on to energize compressor and condenser fan. I had to replace my temp switch too but I had one that Murray gave me, funny part is thread pitch is different where the bezel mounts it to the panel. Correct size though.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If too large it won't fit in the center console A/C panel with a radio below it. I didn't think you had the BMW panel, isn't yours an aftermarket install?

Tundra

Reaction score
I had bought one on ebay for about $12. Its not OE. It worked in the sense that the compressor would kick in and the aux. fan would turn on. Not sure if the temp function would work as I need the old 134 right now so I need to get it charged up. Not sure why it wouldn't work. It looks exactly like the OE and fits in perfectly. The only difference is the thread for the chrome ring. Its a different thread so you would need to rethread the chrome ring. The knob fits.

Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THERMOSTATI...40b2cfd&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=400780117657

Note, the capillary is 48 inches, rather long. I got one with a 24 inch capillary.

Last edited:

dascoupeguy

Reaction score
like this?

like this?

Attachments

• actemp.jpg
    actemp.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 147

rb1971

Reaction score
I do have the BMW panel, although I don't have a radio below it. (I have a custom blanking panel in place of the radio panel with engine management control that takes up less room behind the panel than a radio would and in any event that is not creating the fitment problem.)

The problem that I had was that the part itself was too large behind the panel. Maybe at some point they changed the size of the part without changing the part number? Not sure, but I seem to have a line on the right part with both Don (thanks Don!) and with my AC guy here in SF.

Don clued me in to the fact that the bezel is different for the temp controller and the fan controller. I mean, come on!

BTW if anyone is interested my wife, who is in the ad biz and very handy with graphics, is going to create stickers with original AC control text in the right font/size. It's pretty easy to print these once we have mock ups so I will be back on here asking folks if they want them before I do the print run. Or maybe I'll just get a bunch of them.

-John

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I do have the BMW panel, although I don't have a radio below it. (I have a custom blanking panel in place of the radio panel with engine management control that takes up less room behind the panel than a radio would and in any event that is not creating the fitment problem.)

The problem that I had was that the part itself was too large behind the panel. Maybe at some point they changed the size of the part without changing the part number? Not sure, but I seem to have a line on the right part with both Don (thanks Don!) and with my AC guy here in SF.

Don clued me in to the fact that the bezel is different for the temp controller and the fan controller. I mean, come on!

BTW if anyone is interested my wife, who is in the ad biz and very handy with graphics, is going to create stickers with original AC control text in the right font/size. It's pretty easy to print these once we have mock ups so I will be back on here asking folks if they want them before I do the print run. Or maybe I'll just get a bunch of them.

-John

interested in those stickers,...thank you

rb1971

Reaction score
Chris - we have a high rez photo of my panel pre powder coating but the lettering was marginal. Could you email me a high rez photo of yours? That might be a better starting point.

Thanks, John