74 3.0 CS - need an alternator

jbrubaker001

Site Donor
Reaction score
Everyone,

I need an alterrnator. I ordered a Bosch AL45x but the altenators shaft key was the wrong size (too wide and not long enough for the fan). What are my other options? I would like to stay stock.

Thanks for all of your help,

John

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Try a local hardware store or even Home Despot, any place with one of those 100 drawer racks of nuts and bolts and see if they have an assortment of shaft keys. I bet you could find the right sized shaft key. Good luck, and have a beer afterwards.

jbrubaker001

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can not change the key on the shaft without changing the shaft. I don't see this as an option. Are there are any other part numbers I should be looking at?

MMercury

Reaction score
QUOTE=jbrubaker001;53411]Everyone,

I need an alterrnator. I ordered a Bosch AL45x but the altenators shaft key was the wrong size (too wide and not long enough for the fan). What are my other options? I would like to stay stock.
John[/QUOTE]

1973-1987-Alfa-Romeo-Alfetta-Exploded-View-of-Bosch-Alternator.png

Your description of the situation is slightly confusing. Given the number of Bosch Alternator variations, getting a "slightly" revised version is not that uncommon.

Are you saying the supplied woodruff key (no. 9) is the problem, or are you saying that the fan's (no. 4) key indent is too narrow to accommodate the key, or that the key is not long enough to lock the fan into place? In any event, it is not clear that your fan is the major issue.

I would be more concerned with whether the drive pulley fits the alternator shaft so that the pulley can be locked in place, and if the pulley fits, that it is aligned with the crank pulley or whatever is driving it. In most cases, the fan is "keyed" but that doesn't mean the stamped metal fan can't be cajoled into accepting a slightly larger key by means of a file. Often, the stamped fan's keyway is too large for a thin woodruff key. In many cases, the fan will be secured merely by the pressure from the locking nut against the drive pulley. This makes the woodruff key somewhat of a redundancy respecting the fan.

If all else fails, you might consider looking locally for a shop that rebuilds alternators on site and ask if you could get a fan and/or pulley that fits your needs. Most shops carry buckets of these parts for the very common situation in which you find yourself. A salvage yard for european makes might also be a possibility as might a machine shop. Lastly, you could always contact the vendor and let him find you the right part, or the correct alternator to fit your part.
LucasBosch6_jpg.jpg

Best of luck.

pamp

Reaction score
Electrical

I concur. A part of this sort should be built by the boys that do this stuff day in and day out.
A reputable auto electric shop.

jbrubaker001

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. It is the part #9 that is the issue. It did not appear to me that I could replace the woodruff key but I will see if this is an option. Two notes:

1) The key on the new alternator is not long enough to secure the fan. As another poster mentioned, once locked down this is not really an issue. The fan does fit over the key and is not an issue.
2) The real issue is that the keyway on the pulley is much thinner than the new key on the shaft. My options are to find a woodruff key that is thinner, a pulley that has a wider keyway or maybe even grind out a larger keyway on the pulley.

Otherwise, I should be good to go. Does this sound correct?

jmackro

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider buying an alternator without the fan (and pulley) being on it. Why would I want to remove the fan (and pulley) and replace it? That is the sellers/re-manufacturers job. `Plenty of product out there that is ready to install

I agree 100%. Why not just return that partial alternator, and buy one that is complete?

jbrubaker001 said:
1) The key on the new alternator is not long enough to secure the fan. As another poster mentioned, once locked down this is not really an issue. The fan does fit over the key and is not an issue.
2) The real issue is that the keyway on the pulley is much thinner than the new key on the shaft. My options are to find a woodruff key that is thinner, a pulley that has a wider keyway or maybe even grind out a larger keyway on the pulley.

Man, you're doing it the hard way. You'll spend more way time and money grinding out the keyway, or cobbling up a custom woodruff key than a proper alternator will cost. And, the end result will probably be less reliable than a factory unit. Even if you can't get a refund on that pulley-less alternator, buying a new one outright will cost less than custom fabrication.

jbrubaker001

Site Donor
Reaction score
Based on recommendations, returned BSH and ordered complete alternator from bnr. I'll post once everything is up and running.

Thanks for the support,

John