'73 3.0CS Restomod M6, $80K

jac1d

Reaction score
Found this when trolling around Google, no affiliation.

Looks amazingly well done, but $80K? It says it was listed in June I think, so its been around a while. Is there any way this car is worth that?

http://sanfranciscosportscars.com/1973-bmw-30cs-silver/

"Amazing custom BMW 3.0 CS for sale. Complete frame up restoration/build - 1988 "Euro" spec M6 engine and transmission, 535i BMW brake master cylinder with hydralic boost, M3 rotors, Corvette C5 calipers and much more..."

-Jeff

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll say it is not worth that money for three reasons. The main one is that there is paint all over the wiper motor. This implies lower end work. The undersides don't look to be in great shape. The interior is sacked. AN 80 K car would have more going for it than the engine swap. The fuel filler door is also a $$ detract in my opinion, as is the out of place tach and speedo. The ultimate reason is that it is unsold since June.

SicilianE9

Reaction score
Agree!

It is a mechanical Frankenstein.
IMHO the car has lost it's identity, it might run OK but it is not an E9 anymore (and I am not referring to the engine swap)
I might be too puristic and I am sure that someone might have fun with it but time tells that those "personalized" cars have difficult time finding new owners.
Best regards and merry Xmas
Luc

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why would they do that strange thing with the fuel filler? Ruins the flow...
And that huge tach?!?! HUH?

I though recreational marijuana was in Colorado and Washington only!

Brent

Reaction score
I'll say it is not worth that money for three reasons. The main one is that there is paint all over the wiper motor. This implies lower end work. The undersides don't look to be in great shape. The interior is sacked. AN 80 K car would have more going for it than the engine swap. The fuel filler door is also a $$ detract in my opinion, as is the out of place tach and speedo. The ultimate reason is that it is unsold since June.

+1

Nicad's comments are bang on with my own sentiments. I'd say this is a $35k car, assuming it passes muster on closer inspection and you like the mods.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
I remember that Bimmer magazine article well. It was not to my liking then nor now. Only good thing about the car is the M88 ///M motor. Obviously, the gentleman had means, but taste and style do not necessarily follow. Have a big problem with the oversized outboard boy racer styled tach. In addition, the fuel door apparatus is just tasteless and clueless, it looks out of place in any car of any period. The article also made a huge deal about a homemade wooden BBS RS hubcap tool that the owner fabricated, don't know why it was necessary as I and probaboy most people are content and rather have the original BBS plastic hex tool. Sorry for being so blunt and frank with my sentiments, but hey, this is an open forum, right?

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So where are the fuel cells, the roll cage, the CSL interior, the aluminum skins, to go with the fuel filler. It is advertised as a "hotrod" when it is a mishmash.

jac1d

Reaction score
+1

Nicad's comments are bang on with my own sentiments. I'd say this is a $35k car, assuming it passes muster on closer inspection and you like the mods.

I'm fairly new to the E9 scene, but it is interesting you arrived at $35K. My instinct, from what I have read so far, is that something in the range of $40K would probably be top dollar... assuming you like the mods, as you say. I guess I have picked up a few things so far... :)

-Jeff

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
The offensive mods can easily be corrected (tach, fuel filler door, strut bar). What strikes me is why owner #2 spent so much money and went through all these efforts and ended up not driving the car much...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The offensive mods can easily be corrected (tach, fuel filler door, strut bar). What strikes me is why owner #2 spent so much money and went through all these efforts and ended up not driving the car much...

I don't think the fuel filler door will be easy to correct. Quite a bit of bodywork and painting of the whole side. Silver is tough to match. Seems to me the fuel filler door is the one item that offends folks the most. The tach makes no sense, when you can mod the stock one to show a higher redline. I doubt anyone minds the brake upgrades.

SicilianE9

Reaction score
I don't think the fuel filler door will be easy to correct. Quite a bit of bodywork and painting of the whole side. Silver is tough to match. Seems to me the fuel filler door is the one item that offends folks the most. The tach makes no sense, when you can mod the stock one to show a higher redline. I doubt anyone minds the brake

The worse is having to umpimp it and still getting a car that is way overpriced considering the underfloor condition.
I would expect any serious hotrod work to start by a rework of the structure, anything else being just fooling around.

E3-Otto

Reaction score
Hi all, I had to use an other tacho than the standard. because the the standard is to sloppy. I think it due to the heavy mechanism. The response is awful when shifting gear (or rev).

My car in an e3, but anyway :D

On this car.... whats up with the wheel arches???!!! seems like a big deal If You like to resore the standard ones.

/Otto

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

The answer is in the text, he passed a 2002Tii and the score was settled.
Nice engine!

"The story regarding the conversion is that owner #2 was out for a spirited drive one sunny California day and had a BMW 2002 Tii pass him and leave him behind, he loved his CS but was unwilling to think he would be beaten again by a lesser vehicle so started to formulate a plan to gain the much needed HP he was looking for."