72 E9 CSi on BaT

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Weird font speedo conversion, could have replaced with original MPH speedo...
The old VIN plate section looks like it lived in Chernobyl.
Unclear when it arrived in California vs. Florida.
Car surely saw lots of work done. Probably drives well.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree with tferrer, looks like a nice CSI. I love Chamonix and just bought a white 2010 535i touring M-Sport. I need to check what the official "white" is now that I think of it. Twin turbo, thing screams but a little part of me wants to put an M-stripe on it somewhere.......just like white coupes. I don't know what it is but maybe it's the kid in me that always loved stickers.

RJRuiz

Reaction score
Weird font speedo conversion, could have replaced with original MPH speedo...
The old VIN plate section looks like it lived in Chernobyl.
Unclear when it arrived in California vs. Florida.
Car surely saw lots of work done. Probably drives well.
That font on the speedometer is original to the car, the speedometer was serviced and set to read MP/H rather than KM/H, but otherwise unchanged.

And if you think the VIN section looks bad, you should have seen what the car looked like when I started disassembly, it was basically held together by rust.

And yes, the car drives very well.

R

Last edited:

RJRuiz

Reaction score
I'm from Miami and my last 10 plus years where in Coconut Grove. Who did the work on your CSi? I had my CSi and CSL both there back "in the day" and it was a challenge to find anyone that really knew anything about them. Looks like a great car.
TSA Motors in South Miami did the work- He was the go to guy in Miami for serious restoration work for many years. I knew of 4 other coupes he had done prior to mine, including Doug McKenzies'.

At the time he was performing my restoration he also was working on a Pagoda M-B 250 SL, an XK-120, XK-E, 2 2002's a TR-6 and of all things, an Austin Princess formerly owned by the Queen Mother. He was an extremely talented sheet metal guy.

Unfortunately, he passed a couple of years ago.

RJRuiz

Reaction score
I agree with tferrer, looks like a nice CSI. I love Chamonix and just bought a white 2010 535i touring M-Sport. I need to check what the official "white" is now that I think of it. Twin turbo, thing screams but a little part of me wants to put an M-stripe on it somewhere.......just like white coupes. I don't know what it is but maybe it's the kid in me that always loved stickers.

Thanks. I have a thing for white cars and Cardinal Red or dark brown interiors; can't for the life of me explain why.

It's interesting to see just how many shades of white there are- I really liked the slightly creamy tone of Chamonix.

R

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
TSA Motors in South Miami did the work- He was the go to guy in Miami for serious restoration work for many years. I knew of 4 other coupes he had done prior to mine, including Doug McKenzies'.

At the time he was performing my restoration he also was working on a Pagoda M-B 250 SL, an XK-120, XK-E, 2 2002's a TR-6 and of all things, an Austin Princess formerly owned by the Queen Mother. He was an extremely talented sheet metal guy.

Unfortunately, he passed a couple of years ago.
That's too bad. People that know the coupe chassis are rare. Looking for the shop had me poking around on the map for old haunts and my last address on Leafy way in the Grove. Haven't been back in over 10 years..

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The thicker font on the speedo gives it a different appearance along with fewer tick marks. On my coupe it reads 135 where yours has the 150 as well.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That font on the speedometer is original to the car, the speedometer was serviced and set to read MP/H rather than KM/H, but otherwise unchanged.

I don’t want to wallow in the details on such a minor issue, but I must respectfully disagree on this point. Both the font and the location of the numbers are not original. A 240km speedo has no 150kph marking, and the 150mph marking is in a different spot as @HB Chris mentioned.
2010445E-3E48-4E0D-BEED-234A652329DA.jpeg307742D9-57D2-4BA2-BAA8-F4196B04AC32.jpegBD482A4A-B095-40BD-83FB-9DC7E48ADE6D.jpeg

My euro car had a 150mph speedo conversion, presumably upon import. Depending on the state the car lands in, a conversion could have been required. My CSI donor had the kph speedo, no sidemarkers, german hvac controls.

I think your car is very very nice looking
with a cool motor! Excellent color combo also. GLWS!

RJRuiz

Reaction score
The thicker font on the speedo gives it a different appearance along with fewer tick marks. On my coupe it reads 135 where yours has the 150 as well.

I don’t want to wallow in the details on such a minor issue, but I must respectfully disagree on this point. Both the font and the location of the numbers are not original. A 240km speedo has no 150kph marking, and the 150mph marking is in a different spot as @HB Chris mentioned.
View attachment 135228View attachment 135229View attachment 135230

My euro car had a 150mph speedo conversion, presumably upon import. Depending on the state the car lands in, a conversion could have been required. My CSI donor had the kph speedo, no sidemarkers, german hvac controls.

I think your car is very very nice looking
with a cool motor! Excellent color combo also. GLWS!
Thanks Markos, I should have been more specific- the speedometer was original to my purchase, which was obviously after import.

R