'71 2800cs complete shell - $4,500 obo

renorennsport

Reaction score
For Sale: '71 2800cs shell.

Includes both doors and hood.

Photos here: http://s295.photobucket.com/user/bglowder/library/1971 2800cs shell?sort=3&page=1

I acquired this car as a partial trade when I sold my '74 Coupe a few months ago. The previous owner was going to "partially restore" this car to use as a daily driver/hot rod. After he had the rockers repaired/replaced he was getting ready to go after the remaining rust in the drivers floor when he found mine for sale locally, then decided to go ahead and just spend the money up front - as opposed to death by a thousand paper cuts.....

All of the exterior surfaces and panels were stripped, prepped, and are now ready for paint.

The car is actually pretty solid other than some pretty bad PO patches on the driver and passenger front floors. (shock towers, rear floors and lower A pillars are all pretty OK) As I said, both rockers have been replaced/repaired with factory sheet metal. It seems that it was stripped to bare metal before the work was started. Sorry, but that's about all I know about how the bodywork was done - as the guy who did it has since left town.... Sprayed in primer as of now. What you see is what you get; as in, nothing is hidden by bad paint or bad bondo)

Car was originally dark blue with black leather interior.

Crashed your 2800 and need a shell for the repair? Finish doing the rust repair on this shell while you continue to drive yours - then switch everything over?.... Install a full cage and turn it into a dedicated track car? Or ?????? Outlaw maybe? Clean and clear Nevada title.

All of the suspension parts are available - if you need them.

Delivery to anywhere in Northern California (or possibly Southern California) can certainly be arranged. Shell is on a rolling cart as of now.

This was a complete running and driving car before it was disassembled for the restoration - so I have lots of other parts available. I have a '73 3.0cs, so I will be using some of the parts from it for my car. However, if you're looking something specific, please ask; What I don't need I'm probably willing to part with.

PM me, or call (775) 815-3266 with any questions. Thanks.

Brian

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
track car?

I have a complet set of "bubble" flares from Zaprace and a bunch of other fiberglass body panels that someone could use with the this shell- could be a great project thread to follow.

Short of a CSL body, this is as good as it gets for an E9 track car donor shell.

renorennsport

Reaction score
Hi George! I can't believe you're selling your Bavaria after all that work you've done on it. It really looks great. Oh man, I can't imagine what the senior six goon squad would do with this car if given half a chance. It's really a damn shame it's not in a lot worse shape, it would make a great Lemons car. i still have that M70 and G265 adapter plate I got from Andrey.....

@E911 - If someone doesn't jump on this for a repair or as a donor for a car beyond restoring, I might be all over those bubble flares and other fiberglass body pieces. My initial plan for the car was some sort of vintage racer, or street legal hot rod like the European Division 1 or 2 Touring class cars. I have no interest in building yet another IMSA group 2 clone. It would be perfect for that sort of use. My only question is what SOVREN or HMSA group it would run with here in the states.... It wouldn't think it would be that much fun having a bunch of 500hp Corvettes and Cobras breathing down your neck.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more, who needs another Grp 5 clone... not that the real ones aren't great but the early cars are so much cooler IMO.

FYI- I have all four flares plus front and rear spoilers from Zaprace and custom fiberglass skins for the hood, trunk and doors (instead of aluminum) plus a fiberglass dash and consol.

Obviously I was planning a vintage track/race car but I have been informed that I will not be racing by someone I have to listen to- since I get a pass on everything else.

renorennsport

Reaction score
I've gotten a few responses asking how much I would sell the whole thing for. Like I said, this was a complete running and driving car before being disassembled for restoration.

I'd most likely be asking $10,000 for everything.

That includes all of the interior parts including front and rear seats, door panels and under dash panels (worn, but not really in bad shape at all) all of the glass and window motors (no cracks as far as I can tell) all of the suspension bits and running gear (including a good Getrag 265 five speed)

Hopefully you get the idea - A whole car. A kit car!

Things that I definitely know are not in good condition is the dash - and it wouldn't include any wheels.

The only thing not with the car anymore are the bumpers and the center shifter console.

One other thing thing that was reportedly junk was the head on the M30B35 (warped is what I heard)

Some assembly required.......

renorennsport

Reaction score
Shameless bump.... It still hasn't sold.

Price lowered to $4,000 for the tub. $4,500 DELIVERED to almost anywhere on the West Coast...

Aren't there a pile of 2800's out there that need a new body to make it not a pile anymore?

The body is in great shape - it honestly is ready for paint.

I could even make a roller out of it if that's what it takes.....

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Amazing- Most would rather buy a rusted out hulk that still has all it's rotted interior and frozen mechanicals in place... for twice as much.

renorennsport

Reaction score
Just thought I'd just give this a little bump to get it back on the radar.

I still have the car - and all the parts that came off it.

I was gone for a few weeks, so I apologize to anyone who called me and I didn't get back to them.

I was asking $4,500 for the shell alone, and about $3,500 more for all the bits. However, I am very negotiable on the price - just the bare shell with the title; with as many, or as few, parts as you need. I just want it to go to a good home.

Here is the link again for the photos. I've added a few more: http://s295.photobucket.com/user/bglowder/library/1971 2800cs shell?sort=3&page=1

Please call me with any questions (775) 815-3266

Thanks, Brian

Carmen

Reaction score
Brian,

I can't tell from the picture, but are those rust holes through the metal on the driver side front fender at the seams? Looks like the strength wouild be compromised if so. CoupeKing could do a fender replacement. Not a show stopper but maybe not quite paint ready. Looks like you have a lot of great parts here.

C

renorennsport

Reaction score
I thought I would just put it out there that this car is still available. I'd love for this to go to a good home (other than mine of course) I can't store it forever......

Yes, unfortunately there are still some very small perforations along that seam and even more so on the drivers side floor panels. From what I understand garnet blasting was used in these areas instead of soda, and it went through in a few places. I don't at all want to imply there isn't any metal work left to do; just that it's a lot more "rust free" than MOST E9's out there. At least there isn't a bunch of paint, filler or trim hiding the really scary stuff..... What you see is what you get.

I'm also still open to offers for not only the shell, but everything that came off the car when it went in for the "restoration"

I still think this would be the perfect car for a street legal resto-mod, or even better as a good starting point to build a dedicated track car like bdigel is doing here: http://e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15162

Like I said, I'm open to offers......