'70 E9 hot rod on Bat

m5toureg

Reaction score
Nice and interesting car with a ,hot’ engine….however,
Quote > This 1970 BMW 2800CS was modified in the Netherlands in the 1990s
with a 3.5L S38B36 inline-six and a five-speed manual transmission.<Unquote -
Nice job, well done engine swap, (nice story) but the ,home of BMW Motorsport GmbH’
is NOT in the Netherlands….. ;)

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another Scuderia import offering from our young forum friend, Josh, who's a good guy continuing to learn lessons about importing and pricing in today's (BaT) market. I've seen this car in person (not driven, not crawled in/under), but it presents as the wonderful blunt instrument it is. Set up with serious motivating bits, with ostensibly interesting provenance. Probably too far off the beaten BaT path to find a buyer at the reserve he set.

Bill Sawyer

Reaction score
I saw the video a few weeks ago. Looks like a lot of fun. A hot rod that shouldn’t be judged by concours standards. I’m not in the market, but his website doesn’t seem to provide an email contact.

jmackro

Reaction score
$164K plus, and you have to prop the hood up with a stick????

1970_bmw_2800cs_DSC06872-2-18716-scaled.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The wood on the door carrier, the subpar bondo job….the broken taillight.
Rough condition for an older mod?

Kudos for Josh fairly showing the car with all those pictures.

IMG_1833.png

1712729724070.png

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would be really proud to own such a car, and also if I could build it.
Yes, this is a car that is build to be driven. But for 164K USD you want it to look better then 'a driver'.
I simply see too many small things that could have been solved for under 50 euro's / problem.
Not that you need these when you're into driving fast, but hey; it's sooo easy to get that right!

Why no rubber under the door? Sure will get a lot of wind noise & dirty doorjambs when doing 100mph/180kmh. Same for the rubber not installed on the vertical edge of the door, at the skin side:
1712750163944.png
1712751220093.png

non smooth vinyl: looks plain scruffy:
1712750282482.png

Chrome blistering on the doorhandle:
1712750447533.png

scratches on mirror glass:
1712750613217.png

missing under hood light switch & scruffy bulb holder in red (?) paint:
1712751439983.png

missing black caps on the trunk hinges:
1712750246160.png

missing black sticker on the seat pull chrome cover (they are only 10 euro/side! ):
1712750765941.png

Some other funny things that are a bit more expesive to fix, but very "in-my-face":
- What's up with the fender trim being too short (and non aligned to door trim) ?
1712750515779.png

Why not fill the hole in the wood with the appropriate belt hook (even if you don't use it)
1712750901216.png

messy center console with scratched alu plates and chip missing from chrome cover:
1712751007449.png

and even the spare wheel well of my daily driver = family van = holiday campsite car doesn't look soo bad:
1712751129278.png

So I think in understand why it doesn't sell. It wouldn't sell to me, if i had the money to spare.

Last edited:

JBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Post auction a deal was made and car is sold to an awesome guy who absolutely adores this car and plans to adore this car forever. He saw the car in person and we even went for a ride. Luckily for him he didn’t let a few imperfections scare him away from his dream car. Same story with the buyer of the Polaris CSI, his eyes lit up when he saw the car of his dreams. Believe it or not he even said “I could give a sh** about the headliner” Crazy right!??

For what its worth if you wanted to buy this car from SSC directly and import it here it would have cost you over $160k. Minus travel to see the car. And if you didn’t travel to see the car you would have been buying based off much fewer pictures. Over 300 fewer to be exact. I think I set the bar when it comes to presenting cars in all aspects. Sellers can fill a gallery with 400 glamour shots in front of different scenery, but I’ll make sure you see the nitty gritty.
If it hurts my hammer price, then so be it. Id rather my reputation than a few dollars.

I have a lead on a freshly restored car with an S38B35 in Germany that will cost about $240k to get here if this older build in all of its aged glory wasn’t good enough for the hammer price ;)

Luckily when operating an S38 at 6000+ rpms the only thing you’re worried about is shifting to the next gear or not getting arrested, not the flaws of 50 years of fun!

-your young forum friend,
Josh