4 speed or 5 speed?

gwittman

Reaction score
I understand the drop in rpm and said I would probably like it. However, I have driven between Costa Mesa and Monterey many times to and from the Historics at Laguna Seca running between 80 and 90 mph. It has been a long time since I have done it, but I think it was over a 5-hour drive. I never felt uncomfortable with the rpm at 4,000 to 4,500. In fact, I liked the sound and had a great trip. Everybody has their comfort zone and mine is at speed with the engine purring along.

I would not object to having OD but for me it is not worth the time and expense. Especially, since I don't take long trips in my Coupe anymore.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I’ve always liked the classic 3.07 coupled with the 265/5 close ratio box. If you are running a 3.5 L engine of any configuration, this set up matches what Bmw put in the early M535I and the 635 CSI from 1978 through 1980.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
While taking about 5 speeds, my 2800cs originally came with a ZF 4 speed, was a Euro car. Loved the ZF, but love a 5th gear more.
So did ZF ever make a compatible 5 speed that would work in the coupe? Not trying to hijack thread but curious?
Jjs2800cs

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While taking about 5 speeds, my 2800cs originally came with a ZF 4 speed, was a Euro car. Loved the ZF, but love a 5th gear more.
So did ZF ever make a compatible 5 speed that would work in the coupe? Not trying to hijack thread but curious?
Jjs2800cs
I recall there was a 5-speed ZF perhaps in Europe that had good reputation. I reach seeing one advertised for sale, but I mat be wrong.

My 77 Euro E24 had the sweetest transmission I ever had, I think it was a Getrag 262. Shifted like butter.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jjs2800cs
I recall there was a 5-speed ZF perhaps in Europe that had good reputation. I reach seeing one advertised for sale, but I mat be wrong.

My 77 Euro E24 had the sweetest transmission I ever had, I think it was a Getrag 262. Shifted like butter.
Yeah there was some discussion in this forum about a ZF 5 speed. I think it only came in CSL's. I assume it is not an overdrive. There is also this :)

Marc-M

Reaction score
If you are going to use the car a lot and on motorways/ freeways etc then yes, I would get a 5 speed.

If you have the correct 5 speed box that the 5th gear is not 1:1 - I would pop it in as part of the resto.

If you use it occasionally and some of that occasional use is on freeways? Motorways but most is on normal roads – I would not bother.

I have a 4-speed box and at 70 / 80 its fine and the sound is great from the engine.

Then without dropping a gear you can whip up to 120 – but you will start thinking about your own mortality ( well i do at 100)

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having just gone from a 3.64 to a 3:45 with a 5-speed, I find that 4 gears is plenty if not doing a lot of highway driving. If i shift into 5th at 3k rpm on the interstate, I am already above the speed limit. That said and as mentioned above, a 5-speed certainly won't hurt the value, but the cost difference between the two Getrags is quite a lot these days.
@Stevehose any input on how to change differential in my 4 speed w 3.45 or 3.25 would be appreciated. Is this a difficult thing, or are parts hard/expensive to get?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Stevehose any input on how to change differential in my 4 speed w 3.45 or 3.25 would be appreciated. Is this a difficult thing, or are parts hard/expensive to get?
Not difficult for a shop, if you aren't looking for an LSD then the open diffs aren't very expensive - a few hundred bucks but I would make sure it's coming from a reliable source. Then an assessment of your diff support piece - this is about $200 or so. Then just odds and ends like new half shaft bolts if the old ones are long in the tooth. If you have a 5 speed now I wouldn't go lower than a 3:45 without a monster engine, others may have an opinion on this.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not mission critical, but new diff ratio would warrant a modification to your speedo, too. Else, speed and miles will be way off. I just had mine done at Palo Alto Speed shop and am very pleased with the work Hartmut did for me. More than I expected and a reasonable price. Pretty quick turn around, too. I'll be sending him more.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not mission critical, but new diff ratio would warrant a modification to your speedo, too. Else, speed and miles will be way off. I just had mine done at Palo Alto Speed shop and am very pleased with the work Hartmut did for me. More than I expected and a reasonable price. Pretty quick turn around, too. I'll be sending him more.
yes my 3:45 on my stock 3:64 diff speedo reads 6 mph slower, not sure I could talk my way out of that ticket!

Last edited: