3000th Post...in Honour of my Avatar Poppy

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Puppy that is poking out of my Blue E46 wagon is now a few days away from 10 years old. Still the Puppy mentally, she has come down with some odd degenerative issue that signals the end is near. Needs to be lifted to get up, supported when walking. Still likes food, other dogs and especially new people who acknowledge her existence. Going to the 3rd vet today as a last resort to try and figure out what is causing this fast decline. Dogs, like friends sure enrich our lives.

Attachments

• Poppy Grin.jpg
    Poppy Grin.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 160
  • poppy stick.jpg
    poppy stick.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 167

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Tough stuff. Our Bernese Mtn Dog declined much in the same manner. My daughter remembers its the only time she's seen me cry.
Godspeed Poppy.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry to read this, and hope that a remedy is found soon. Poppy looks like a wonderful friend and companion. Our pets are our family. Best wishes.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry to read this, and hope that a remedy is found soon. Poppy looks like a wonderful friend and companion. Our pets are our family. Best wishes.
Two weeks ago we said goodbye to Wolfe, our German Shepherd/Hound Dog/Husky rescue dog. We got him when he was five so knew nothing of his story. He bonded to me immediately, love at first sight, eyes met across the SPCA lobby, all that blather. Seven years and a couple of months from that fateful day the usual German Shepherd hind legs/hip problems appeared. Supplements, etc helped for a while. But in the last couple of weeks his anxiety problems increased exponentially in spite of pain and anxiety medications, along with growing signs of dementia. Sadly it was time to let him go.

I am saying all this because we we were determined not to keep him too long. Something we did with a previous rescue dog.

I know this forum is about our Coupes and other rides, but I also know there are quite a few dog lovers(understatement) here too. I am thinking Nicad, JMinNJ, Scottvest, and all the others.

Great joy, great sadness.

Steve

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks all for the good wishes and advice. It is pretty hard trying to figure out when to do the kind act, So thanks Steve for putting that in perspective . For now the latest Vet has us trying some oddball stuff. The last one wanted some very expensive MRI, after some very expensive Xrays and joint sample tests. One of the suggestions is to try CBD oil, so I'm going to stop by the Government pot store and see what they have. The dog has enjoyed being free on the front porch the last two weeks. No leash, screw the leash laws. It is getting colder however, so only a few more weeks outdoors for her.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks all for the good wishes and advice. It is pretty hard trying to figure out when to do the kind act, So thanks Steve for putting that in perspective . For now the latest Vet has us trying some oddball stuff. The last one wanted some very expensive MRI, after some very expensive Xrays and joint sample tests. One of the suggestions is to try CBD oil, so I'm going to stop by the Government pot store and see what they have. The dog has enjoyed being free on the front porch the last two weeks. No leash, screw the leash laws. It is getting colder however, so only a few more weeks outdoors for her.
Nicad, my take on all this expensive human-like medical treatment: we have no idea how that stresses a dog who is already experiencing different kinds of stress/pain. And, dogs hide their pain, it is a prey/predator thing. Weeks before Wolfe was exhibiting signs of pain our Vet put him on a pain/anxiety med. World of difference.

We live an hour outside of Philadelphia, home to the University of Pennsylvania's vaunted Vet school. To put it politely, I am skeptical of what the vets and owners put their beloved pets through. All good intentions, but we have no idea what the dog is experiencing.

But it is always a personal, painful, hard call.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just thought I'd add a bit of non Gloomy news....for my family at least. The dog that was a day or so away from being humanely put down spent two weeks lying on the front porch in October. We balked at a $3000 MRI and thought, lets just make her comfy and feed her some tasty food like salmon, etc. Bit by bit over the winter the exuberance came back and the dog is pumped about Spring. Here she is picking out a spot for me to rest between chasing squirrels. The dog now barks at me just out of joy. No idea what the problem was.

Attachments

• popstar.jpg
    popstar.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 105

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just thought I'd add a bit of non Gloomy news....for my family at least. The dog that was a day or so away from being humanely put down spent two weeks lying on the front porch in October. We balked at a $3000 MRI and thought, lets just make her comfy and feed her some tasty food like salmon, etc. Bit by bit over the winter the exuberance came back and the dog is pumped about Spring. Here she is picking out a spot for me to rest between chasing squirrels. The dog now barks at me just out of joy. No idea what the problem was.
Nicad, I am having trouble fitting words to my joy for you. And you are so right. No one will ever know what Poppy's issues were. Balking turned out to be the best course of treatment. While I wonder if, in her state in October she would have survived the stress of an MRI and all the attendent treatment. Just a thought.

Steve