3.0cs being kept all original or modified for looks + performance. What do you think?

mpgandco

Reaction score
My friend recently just sold this Modified CS for "Big" money with the bigger bumpers.It was very well done.

Attachments

• DSC03012 (Large).jpg
    DSC03012 (Large).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC03014 (Large).JPG
    DSC03014 (Large).JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC03013 (Large).jpg
    DSC03013 (Large).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC03017 (Large).JPG
    DSC03017 (Large).JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 202

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
hey exec,

my 2 cents - its your car: you do what you want to it.

i bite my lip once in a while when some truly horrific mods create an obscene, abomination of a coupe - and i have to remind myself that its their car, their time, their money. as you know from the p-car side of the internet, you are not asking the equivalent of taking an rs and grafting on turbo flares, impact bumpers, whaletail, and etc. most people would say that you are proposing improvements. personally, i have a hard time making any "permanent" changes - which means that i have an engine, transmission, wheels, seats, steering wheel, etc sitting around in case i need to put everything back to factory spec.

btw, i love these kind of threads because people send in photos of their coupes. mpgandco both of your coupes are uber-cool! and, i remember your friend's coupes - i think i posted links when they were being advertised on the bmwcca site. but i just looked at the photos again/for the first time. that white coupe does have a menacing look to it. also never noticed the front corner of a '73 911s (?) in the 3rd photo.

mpgandco

Reaction score
Kwyjibo

I remember you posting the links of the 74 White one and the beautiful 73 Baikal Blue one.I had no idea my buddy ,here in Monterey was going to buy both of them. They were a steal at the asking price's.I sold him some Alpina Wheels and Sport Steering Wheel for the Blue one.Also did some detail work on it.He swore he was going to keep it forever,but that only lasted a few month's

Good eye on the 73 S Porsche.That car was owned by Bobby Rahal at one time

The White 74 was the one listed on Canepa's site for $95,000 and I believe they got close to the asking price.Rumor has it that Tim Allen,yes the "Tool Time" guy bought it

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DeQ I love the pertronix unit for it's reliability and I am tired of adjusting points (there are plenty other adjustments I can make on these cars in my spare time instead :mrgreen: ) but I also like stock appearance so I left the capacitor in place and clipped the wire and shrinktubed the pertronix wires into one so everything looks original to the unsuspecting eye.

+1

my choice: maintain it as close as possible to the original 1971`s appearance, and function (not pertronix, not webers,...), but this is ONLY my choice !:-D

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
DeQ I love the pertronix unit for it's reliability and I am tired of adjusting points (there are plenty other adjustments I can make on these cars in my spare time instead :mrgreen: ) but I also like stock appearance so I left the capacitor in place and clipped the wire and shrinktubed the pertronix wires into one so everything looks original to the unsuspecting eye.

i agree with you too
then, if that can be done in a confidential way, some pics will be highly appreciated from my side

regards

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
One "see how it goes" option is to delete front bumper and replace with appropriate spoiler. Remove rear bumper and replace with CSL replica plastic. Not for the parking lot, but . . . . Doing the euro bumper swap correctly is not a straight swap, but takes some paint and other skill to do right. If you're going to do it, then do it right.

5 speed is an easy choice unless you have a truly original AND collectible car such as an unmolested CSL.

Steering wheel: Change as often as you like as it's totally reversible.

Enjoy!

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Original-enhanced--modified a little--bastardized never

As to the BLUMAX--it was kept original for about 325,000 miles--I then decided that a few well chosen mechanical enhancements that would be an improvement over its factory stock equipment would be in order while keeping the internal and external appearance stock:

1) 4-1995 to 12-95 Bilstein HD's all round, brake conversion to vented disc all round, Carl Nelson lowering and touring spring set-up with a larger front sway bar installed.
2) 5-96-6-96 more modern A/C setup, 5 spd od transmission (perhaps the most significant single enhancement made) and re-worked driveline.
3) 3-97 3.5L motor transplant and fresh diff.
4) 1-04 installed Alpina staggered 16" with caps
5) 1-05 installed freshly built 3.5 L with cam and 38/38 Webers

All suspension parts, bearings, bushings, steering, braking systems, fuel tank and lines, cooling and electrical system parts and components are in first class roadable condition at 416,800 miles. I would not hesitate to head East for a cross country drive with the expectation of getting there trouble free--were it not for our present weather conditions.

Due my advanced age--there are a couple of serious collectors gathered around waiting for me to give up the driving fun that BLUMAX has provided for years. They are hoping to acquire this venerable world hi-mileage champion Coupe with standing offers for considerable more than many on this board would pay for an exceptional condition factory original coupe. Have the many enhancements I have undertaken hurt or impaired its value??

I don't think so--based on responses from many knowledgable car people, organizers of Concours outside of BMW only events and serious collectors--instead there seems a consensus expressed that it may be one of the most desirable Coupes around to be its next owner. Perhaps its provenance is actually a much more important factor in its value enhancement than a perceived diminishment of value from those changes, when compared to a low mile original factory stock, early number 2800 CS. The recent white/blue 2800 CS that was on E-Bay comes to mind--it had a minimum starting bid of around $40,000 that went nowhere but elicited considerable conversation on this board. I know the car well having acquired it several years ago for a client along with its history before and since.

For those who may wonder or question my earlier statement as to a cross country outing--I have always been a serious and rigorous practicioner of preventive maintenance--so a breakdown or unexpected failure has been a very rare experience on any of my cars. i hope the experiences I share of the BLUMAX over these 39 years of ownership and care will motivate other owners to seek similar longevity for their Coupes and that someday another will hold up his card claiming a higher mileage achievement.

Merry Christmas to all my Coupester friends and may your New Year be a healthy and joyous one full of driving fun for you and your Coupe!!

Last edited:

o

Reaction score
Great thread,

I'm into originality but accept that in the 40 years (!) that the E9 has been around many new materials, products and process have come about that mean certain items can be improved.

The only non-standard part on my E9 are the braided brake hoses but I would certainly not rule out fitting window motors from a later BMW model, or fitting a more modern audio system.

I say make the car you want, but go with OEM-plus; e.g. use parts from later cars to enhance yours.

All the best, and most importantly, ENJOY! :D

o :)

hplug

Reaction score
One more!

One more vote for do what you want! I have a 72 CS Auto #2250050 that I have been kicking around the same idea. My car is a 54K mile original schwartz (black) car and I was in the train of thought that a low mile survivor should remain stock, I have since changed my mind. My Family has 3 low mile coupes, my mother and father 1970 nackt blue with 47K original miles, original New Mexico car, my sister and bro in law 72 malaga with 39K miles and mine. This is what made it easy for me, I bought the car for me and never plan to sell it so I will build it for me, plus with some nice enhancements I will be able to pass my bro in law and dad on the same hairpin turn and motor right on by!
I will be doing suspension, brakes, a euro 3.5 punched to a 3.8, still up in the air about the fuel system (I love the sound of multiply carbs, reminds me of my 79 308GTS) but all in all the outside and most of the inside will appear stockish of course excluding wheels and stance.
Enjoy it drive it make it yours!
Fyi I also have a mildly enhanced 75 911 original motor popped to a 3.0, all the other common motor upgrades, suspension, and seats from a 2005 911, I still run the stock Fuch wheels and all in all looks real similar to the way it left the factory minus a 1989 Pcar color