2800CS High Beams dont work... They flash but do not go on switch in the up position?

execmalibu

Reaction score
The high beams flash but do not go on with the switch in the up position... It is a Bad switch ,relay, fuses under dash are OK...

Ideas?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If it flashes the relay and fuse are ok, sounds like your switch needs replacing or possibly it can be removed and fixed if a wire or something is off.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Does the dash light up when you flash or when you flip the switch up? Trying to identify if the switch is bad or if something else is up. Sounds like the relay is good, though.

execmalibu

Reaction score
The switch must be bad... No high beam light!

The funny part is that the car came with 4-6 repair manuals... I am just to lazy to start reading through all of them with the internet...:oops:

61porsche

Reaction score
Probe the switch/ wires for power. Sometimes just the back is loose and you can restake it. The solder connections on the wires aren't great and work loose if herr assembler was slightly tipsy from beer breaks. I just fixed mine a few weeks ago.

JhwShark

Reaction score
Probe the switch/ wires for power. Sometimes just the back is loose and you can restake it. The solder connections on the wires aren't great and work loose if herr assembler was slightly tipsy from beer breaks. I just fixed mine a few weeks ago.

+1...the back is most likely loose, easy to tighten up! Pulling the stalk to flash will cause the back to loosen up over decades...

execmalibu

Reaction score
Spent 2 hours under the dash... The switch is OK.. Now power to the High Beams!

I spent 2 hours tacking down the source of my problem... There is a yellow/white wire that should power the relay for Hi beams but it dont ... That wire is part of an 8 gang black plug.

Then I found Just floating loose under the dash a pair of yellow/white wires joined into a clear rubber covered spade connector that is not connected to anything... The spade connector looks exactly like the ones on the back of the fuse block but these wires are not long enoungh to reach the fuse block... These wire in the spade connector are powered by the light switch but I cannot figure out where it plugs into... The wires are not long enough to go very far from the access door... I ended up just soldering another wire to the switch and connecting it to the spade connector on the yellow/white wires and everything works like it should!

It is possible that the wires plug into the round switch under the left side dash?

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
dimmer to light switch. There's a bullet connnection between them. That's what came loose.

execmalibu

Reaction score
61Porsche- Not a bullet connector, a spade connector

There were two wires both yellow with a white tracer that joined into a clear plastic covered spade connector... Like the ones on the back of the fuse block... There was only one empty space on number 10 (for a sunroof) and I tried plugging in there but it did not work...

On the high beam switch are only 3 wires (green, yellow, and yellow/white) The green was hot with the key and the yellow was the pull back flasher... The yellow/white did nothing! I traced all three wires back to a black 8 gang plug. The yellow/white needs to be hot for the high beams.

There is also a yellow/white wire on the headlight switch that is switched and somewhere between the headlight switch and the 8 gang plug is a place to plug the spade connector into... It must be there I just could not find it!

Anyway a 3 inch jumper to the high beam switch and voila it work perfectly!:)

I will do some research and try to locate where the spade connector is supposed to plug into and then I can just clip off the newly installed wire..

JhwShark

Reaction score
A yel/wht wire from the dimmer goes to the Light switch through a connector.
A wht wire should go from the dimmer to the high beam relay.
A yel should go from dimmer to the high beam light.
The green is Hot (switched) from fuse 6.

You don't have a white wire to energize the HB relay??

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doesn't the yellow wire go to the low beams?

A yel/wht wire from the dimmer goes to the Light switch through a connector.
A wht wire should go from the dimmer to the high beam relay.
A yel should go from dimmer to the high beam light.
The green is Hot (switched) from fuse 6.

You don't have a white wire to energize the HB relay??

execmalibu

Reaction score
Only 3 wires on the switch...No white wire!

There are only 3 wires on the switch... There is another unused post but it has never been soldered to... That must be the reason that I cannot find a place to plug in the yellow/white spade connector... Maybe the switch was from an E3 or something else...

Hooked up the way I have it works great... Problem solved!