1974 CS interior detail question for the EXPERTS!

execmalibu

Reaction score
The front seats in my late 1974 have beading on the seat bottom cushions but no beading on the vertical seam near the chrome trim on the seat backs ...

Only 1974 and later have seam near the vertical chrome trim. The 1973 and earlier E9 seats are totally different and have no seam on the seat backs... My seats have the Horizontal pleats...

I have examined numerous photos of 1974 interiors and it is very difficult to tell...

Do any of you E9 experts know or can someone send a photo of the correct 1974-75 seat...

Thanks

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
74, 1 owner, not mine.

30.jpg

Looking at the carpet and the double seam on the bolsters, it looks original to me for a later coupe- piping on the front edge which makes sense on horizontal pleat. Perhaps others can help...

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, mine were re-done and I dont know if they are still strictly correct. Peter (CoupeKing) would be able to tell you.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Correct seams and pleats in a 1974 CS

check with Peder Mansson--one of the regulars who post on our forum. He has an original, correct light tan leather interior in his 1974 Sienna coupe.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
...Seat Belts

Interesting driver seat belt in the photo also -- guess that explains what the holes in the wood in my car are for. I thought those might be seat belt related but I talked myself out of the notion once I studied what they were attached to. It's not a real sturdy looking piece.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I'm reading your post correctly, then you are inquiring about the front seatbacks and not the back seats. By looking at the 3 pics I've found, pipings or beadings were not used for the seat backs unlike the seating surfaces which had them. If you were to look closely, pipings are absent from the seatbacks on the two 74 coupes.

5386469163_d361ff2093.jpg
5387073262_0d98af7797.jpg

5387081904_6e33f6cc3d.jpg

Last edited:

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting driver seat belt in the photo also -- guess that explains what the holes in the wood in my car are for. I thought those might be seat belt related but I talked myself out of the notion once I studied what they were attached to. It's not a real sturdy looking piece.

This seat belt hook is for hanging purposes only, and not intended for use as a structual belt achoring point. Do not use seat belt with it still attached to hook.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Bert you are reading it correctly!

I am trying to see if the front seat backs have beading in the vertical seam near the chrome trim... My upholstery guy noticed that the seat backs were different the the seat bottoms and that only the bottoms had beading... He said this was a mistake... It does make sense that they should be the same!

But I think that he is wrong.

I still cannot see for sure in the photos (even on my 24 inch monitor)if there is beading on the seat backs or not... I can definitely see the beading on the bottoms but the on backs in some photos it looks like a bead and others it looks like just a seam it is hard to tell...

Last edited:

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
The front seat backs do NOT have piping on them, only the bottom cushions. My original '74 seats show piping around the bottom cushions, but NOT on the seat backs, just like 61porsche's photo shows. The stitching seam does make it look like there might be piping there, but there is NOT piping on the seat back of the front seats

Cad

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Piping locations

None of original seats on CS's from 1969 through production end had piping on seat backs--piping was only found on the seating surfaces in front and rear but none on the seat backs.

execmalibu

Reaction score
THANKS!!! Now I do not have to take my seats apart!

Thank you guys you saved me a lot hassle and I dont have to take my seats apart!:-D

As I said before it did look strange that the bottoms had piping and the backs did not... All of the period Porsches and MBs I own have piping on both the back and bottom cushions so when my upholstery guy pointed out that the E9 bottom and backs were different and done wrong I figured he was correct!

mrp

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I'm also restoring the interior of my 1975 2.5 CS. Thanks to this thread I also know how to re do my seats. The idea is to restore it as close as original as possible.

I have an extra question about the interior of 1974 and later e9s. The door panels are covered with the same material of the seats. Below the armrest the door panels have horizontal seams and above the armrest there are no seams. Is the seamless part of the door panel made of the same material as the seats? I know it is a different material in 1973 and older coupes (looks like some kind of fabric), but maybe for 1974 and 1975 coupes both parts of the door panels are covered with the same material.

If the owners of 1974 and 1975 coupes can post pictures of original door panels (front and rear) it would be much appreciated.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I'm also restoring the interior of my 1975 2.5 CS. Thanks to this thread I also know how to re do my seats. The idea is to restore it as close as original as possible.

I have an extra question about the interior of 1974 and later e9s. The door panels are covered with the same material of the seats. Below the armrest the door panels have horizontal seams and above the armrest there are no seams. Is the seamless part of the door panel made of the same material as the seats? I know it is a different material in 1973 and older coupes (looks like some kind of fabric), but maybe for 1974 and 1975 coupes both parts of the door panels are covered with the same material.

If the owners of 1974 and 1975 coupes can post pictures of original door panels (front and rear) it would be much appreciated.

This should be the correct door panel design for the 74 and later coupes. The perforations do not go all the way through the vinyl material though.
P1030373-2.jpg

mrp

Reaction score
A few more Q

Thanks Bert35csi for the answer. So far you have given me the answers to every thread I posted. Thanks.
A few more questions about the interior of 1974-75 coupes:

Is the flat surface located between the rear seats and the rear windshield originaly covered with the same material as the seats and door panels?
Or it is covered with carpet (same as floor)?
Is there a factory installed speaker in that flat surface?

Thanks again.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
'74 and later = carpet (same as floor)
'73 and older = black vinyl

There was never factory installed speakers in that area, though so many coupes have this mod that it probably seems like it was at least a factory or dealer option.

HTH