1974 3.0CSL on BaT

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
E9coupe.com is in my opinion the best technical and expertise resource and community that exists for any classic marque. Yet again proven with the input provided during this BAT CSL sale. (Not an E9 lynch mob as someone posted)
Let them fear us. We have our Eliot Ness in Alameda, we are untouchable.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading his lengthy reply explaining how the original block was uncovered.

This statement struck me as inadequate at best and complete BS at worst.

"naturally not knowing what a re-stamp or block build date code looks like."

Plausible on the restamp but build date legends are common knowledge. Isn't he supposed to be a BMW expert?

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t think someone needs to be an expert to represent a car for sale, but if you have access to the expertise, as he does apparently, you should take advantage of it. At least double/triple check that the numbers on your mid 6-figure car are legitimate. I think it was a pretty big oversight not doing that immediately when the car showed up. While better than many, it’s obviously not a factory stamp and there’s no machining marks on the flat. There are lots of photos on BaT which have been compiled since 2014 of what factory block standings should look like so it’s not like you need a divining rod to decode what’s in front of you.

All of that said, it came up early enough in the listing and he handled this much better than some sellers would. They have potential to be out a decent amount of money with acquiring the original block, building it and shipping it to the buyer. Of course it could also pay dividends but we won’t know any of that until the final 2 min.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t think someone needs to be an expert to represent a car for sale, but if you have access to the expertise, as he does apparently, you should take advantage of it. At least double/triple check that the numbers on your mid 6-figure car are legitimate. I think it was a pretty big oversight not doing that immediately when the car showed up. While better than many, it’s obviously not a factory stamp and there’s no machining marks on the flat. There are lots of photos on BaT which have been compiled since 2014 of what factory block standings should look like so it’s not like you need a divining rod to decode what’s in front of you.

All of that said, it came up early enough in the listing and he handled this much better than some sellers would. They have potential to be out a decent amount of money with acquiring the original block, building it and shipping it to the buyer. Of course it could also pay dividends but we won’t know any of that until the final 2 min.
Agree but why wasn't the original block put back in? Who has a car restored then restamps a block, installs it, while the original block is sitting in the corner?

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree but why wasn't the original block put back in? Who has a car restored then restamps a block, installs it, while the original block is sitting in the corner?
I am as confused as you are. I mean I could see something like that happening in the 1980s but with a car like this these days how does that happen? I’d definitely pay to have the original block for my car and it’s just a 2800 CS, not a CSL.

Why would anyone involved in the restoration allow that to happen? Being under the gun to finish a project and picking a random block instead of the cars original doesn’t make a lot of sense. I was in a rush so I asked for a salvage title instead. I guess you can see with the crooked stamp on the replacement that the guy must have been in a rush. I want my engine builder in a hurry. Makes for a faster car. I wonder if this is really a true story but it doesn’t explain how the block is just right there and seemingly ready to go. It’s not like it’s some old block “wow look what we found.” Also the comments about the parts to fix it were so hard to find (probably bearings). So this has been an ongoing thing? So, yeah I’m confused but hey there’s the block.

The stamp on the block looks correct and the machining marks are there, the font is right. The + are correct so I don’t doubt that’s really the real thing.

No receipts are in the gallery. I thought there were receipts but the order of a lot of photos seem to have changed around. These later photos of the original block are not where you’d expect at the end of the gallery. I don’t understand that.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had the same reaction from reading his update with great news about "finding " the block. The thought that a reputable restoration shop would rebuild a different block when the owner provided a numbers matching unit strikes me as crazy and doesn't speak well for that shop.

tightbox

Reaction score
I’m wondering if it makes sense to pull the auction early, swap the correct motor in, and have Chris consult with them on making the remaining small details as close to 100% factory correct as possible.

This car is capable of hitting big $$, but I fear the stories and allegations may detract from any straightforward blue chip bidder type activity.

Driving enhancements/modifications are nice, but the highest bidders want no stories, and factory accuracy.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Alec should reach out to Werner and try to give the buyer first right of refusal on the original wheels.

2AACDC76-5ED1-4544-BB40-65CC5B031DBE.jpeg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am really disappointed at the 'no harm, no foul' angle the auction has had now. Really pisses me off actually.
The seller (also owner I guess) brushes off all the different things the folks here have said and... then when finally confronted with the facts... says 'sorry'. Look, we found the original parts. All's good, right?

I have had a couple of posts ready to submit on the car... basically calling BS to both what he has said himself and what he has reported the restorer has said.

But then I get back to what I said before..... Never argue with an idiot.

So - this time discretion is the better part of valor and... :). This post will suffice.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Everything seems kinda convenient. That stamp looks legit and nothing actually makes sense. There has to be a different story as to why it wasn’t used. Cracks around the head bolt holes? Who knows. Trying to get to the bottom of something like this is draining.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was tagged by a comment yesterday (Sunday Sept 24) by "ibikenow"but this morning when I go to see it - the comment has been flagged and is no longer posted.
Wonder what it was...

Talk about a drama filled listing.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn’t flag the post, but I also don’t think the misrepresent is “clear”. I think Alec’s role in these auctions is unclear, and that is a big part of the problem. There is a good chance that both the owner, and the consigner were unaware that the block was swapped. There is also a chance that Alec’s Montanna LLC is the “owner” of the car. Also a chance that the ACTUAL owner of the car knew but Alec did not. At any rate, the car was misrepresented but by whom isn’t clear at all.

The “totally normal nothing to see here folks” response is absolutely ridiculous. I’m just thankful the car is mostly whole again, for the car’s sake.