1972 3.0CS Portland, Oregon

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
1972 3.0CS

Looking for $18000.
I will be honest about all I know about the car.
If you have further questions please PM me.
The call is located in Portland OR if anyone would like to complete an inspection.

PICTURES:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/1002917...6042408781314373138&oid=100291787114069437246

• History:
o I found this car in Vancouver, Washington approx 2 years ago. It was basically driven periodically for the prior 12-15 years all the while being stored in a garage. Prior to this I heard it came from California.
o Supposedly it was imported from Italy. But, originally the car was sold in Germany.
• All interior is original to the car from what I can tell. Rare European interior that is in great condition for the year.
o 128,000 miles
• Rust(the all-important question)
o I know of only one location shown here in the drivers side wheel well.
o Multitude of pictures provided
o As we all know if you were to strip down the car there will be other locations that will need attention. I would never make claims that the car is rust free. The car should be physically reviewed by anyone interested.
• Modifications:
o Car has had one paint job. Not the greatest quality but still looks ok. Does have blems and scratches consistent with a 10 year old paint job.
o Originally the car was an automatic. I believe the 4 spd was installed in the 80’s.
o I believe the engine is not original to the car but have no specific knowledge. The block has a big stamp on it saying 3.3/3.0; my understanding is that the original engine would not have had this information on it. Please correct me if this is inconsistent with common knowledge.
• Momo steering wheel and gear shift knob
• Gas tank was cleaned out and painted.
o Euro side running light covers installed this year. Have the originals.
o When I took possession of the car it was not idling well. The carburetors were in poor condition. Ultimately, I decided to complete a Weber Side Draught upgrade. As part of this upgrade the following mechanical work was completed in the last year:
 Side Draught install with AFR gauge and bung install
 New electric fuel pump
 New water pump and New later model fan clutch set up
 New Optima Battery
 Tii brake booster install
 Spin on adapter for using standard oil filter
 New Starter, later model, lighter and cranks car over quickly and efficiently
 VDO gauges- AFR, Water Temp, Oil Pressure.(Oil pressure is not functional but I have the correct adapter and transducer to make it work)
 Petronix ignition
 New Clutch slave and rebuilt master.
o Removed and reinstalled rear window assemblies. They now work without issue.
o Two point seat belt install. I cut the armrest piece to accept the seatbelts shown. There is still a little more work required to get them to retract more efficiently.
o New stereo with Bluetooth ,USB, and 6X9 alpine speakers
o Installed Style 5 wheels as shown. Tires are practically new; Pirelli PZERO NERO tires
o Items that go with the car:
Zenith Carbs and intakes
 Original wheels with hub caps and brand new Firestone FireHawk tires
 I have all the original parts that were removed during all the work stated above.
 Fuel Injector setup I received from previous owner. Do not know where it came from
 Differential (NOT LS)
 4 spd transmission with bell housing

• Known Issues
o Needs a new wind shield at some point. In the sun it looks a little odd due to the age. Completely functional though.
o No rear seat belts. I have one original. I also have two that were bought for a future project. Planned to weld a pad on the top of the rear wheel wells and have the seat belts come out from the rear deck. Have seen pictures of this done on other E9’s.
o Weber tuning. Although there is good power and the car runs quite well there is additional fine tuning that could be done to the weber carbs. Slight amount of backfiring when downshifting.
o AC unit and system is fully installed but not functional. Have not looked into this issue.
o VDO oil pressure gauge is not hooked up. I have the sensor unit and adapter. It is brand new.
o Power Steering squeals slightly when turning at a standstill only. Have not looked into the issue at all. May just be the belt.
o All windows work but the front ones are extremely slow.
o Blinkers work fine. When you turn on the right side blinker the dash light only flashed once then is out. The blinkers on the outside are working fine. Left side dash light works.
o Headliner is in great condition. Drivers side sunvisor is in good condition but is a different material and not original to the car.
o You can see a few cracks on the dash and the wood is not perfect.

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks good for the price! I'm thinking it will go quickly. If not, post some more in-depth rust trouble spot shots- under the carpet etc.

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence

It looks promising.
I am going to lose $$$'s but that was to be expected.
Just would like to sell due to a change in family priorities.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gotta love Italian delivery cars... usually some of the driest around and the potential for some different interiors!

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
The saga continues!

I have a story:
I made a verbal deal with an enthusiast and current E9 owner. He flew in from out of State.
This current owner and enthusiast completed a full and thorough inspection of the car. We drove the car. Then, came back to my home and loaded the car with all the original parts in preparation for him to take it. He even paid for the car and was planning to return the next day to pick it up.
Very early this AM he called and let me know that his conscience was getting the best of him. He stated that the car was worth much more than I was asking. His words were ‘the body is extremely solid.’ He was not prepared to pay a price close to its real value. His current e9 projects required his time and funding. In his own words, ‘He saw the deal and the extensive pictures and could not pass it up.’
He suggested the value of the car was worth in the neighborhood of $25,000+ and that I should be looking at getting something at this price point or above.
I knew that the owners on this forum had integrity, but I am taken back by this owner’s honesty. This was a purely noble act. I am a person that follows through on my commitments. The moment I committed to selling him the car the deal was done in my eyes. Even with my own reservations about the deal I was fully willing to follow through.
He released me from this commitment and I will forever be indebted to him. He will remain anonymous per his request. He also approved of what I have written here.
Now the question becomes; what next?
I do not want to go on Ebay or Craigslist. This plan sounds unappealing and nightmarish. I want this car to go to a good home that will continue to improve the car. This is what I was getting from this buyer. In the end though, whoever buys the car can do as they see fit, obviously.
This owner and enthusiast suggested I drive the car down to ‘The Legends of the Autobahn’ show in Monterey and offer it for sale. Although I would love to make this happen it may be a logistical issue for me. This is definitely under consideration and will be looking at the possibility over the next few days.
I will continue to offer the car for sale here. But, based on the experienced appraisal and guidance received, I will no longer be able to offer the car at the original price.
Let me say, I am not a dealer, I am not a car salesman and I am not looking for top dollar. I do need to sell the car eventually. I would like to sell it sooner rather than later.
Price?? I just don’t know. Please give me a few days to decide if I want to put a new price on the car or take this opportunity to spend some time with my son and make the drive to Legends.
If anyone wishes to speak to me about the car please PM me and I will return your call. From this moment on I will return any PM’s or calls within a reasonable period of time. As I thought the deal was closed I know I missed some attempts to communicate with me regarding this car.
Caveat:
I have misplaced the title for the vehicle. I have a printout from the DMV showing I am the legal owner. I also have the current registration in my name. A duplicate title can be requested but will take 7 weeks to receive. I know this is a concern but should not be a deal breaker. The new owner and I can go to the local DMV and transfer it in to his/her name. The new owner would receive an Oregon title in their name. This will be done at my cost.
Additional information:
It does not have the original motor. It is possible the engine may actually be a 3.3 but there is no way to know unless it is opened up. The car has a Spanish head and is also not original to the car.

Osymandias

Reaction score
That's an unusual experience...

I would get the title before you contemplate Legends. Notwithstanding the high net worth folks, buyers in Monterey in my experience are more bargain-hunting than you might expect at this price point.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And if believe that one, I have another one for you.

Exactly... another oops, I started to low and I might just leave a penny or two on the table story! Life's too short, sell for what you want (or need in some cases) and move on.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting story. Will venture a guess, the buyer's name is not Frederick.

rwolak

Reaction score
So Bob tell us your story.

Regards, Jon

Right now just an DIYer "lurking" on this website but owned, refinished a '74 3.0CS in 2004. Ran into some of the typical rust issues on the car, i.e., rockers, floors, quarters. Kept the car a couple of years and sold it. Always liked the coupe and like to stay up on what's going on with the model. However, to be honest, I have a little problem with owning/driving a car that I'd be afraid to get wet because it might rust. I live on the East Coast and, although I don't drive my "hobby car" in inclimate weather, I do like driving them when I want to.