1972 3.0CS, blue - $7800 (manchester ct)

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$7800 isn't that parts car territory? That does look awfully beat and not in a good patina way.

Notice it has manual wind front windows.

dbower

Reaction score
rhetorical question

Why is it that so many E9's, the top of the line BMW when new, have just been abused/neglected mercilessly? It seems there are more out there like this one (or already returned to iron oxide) than there are decent drivers -- let alone solid survivors and trailer queens. I don't see this phenomenon nearly as often with coupe peers from back in the day -- 911's, XKE's, Dino's, etc. Why did those owners actually care for their cars, and so many coupes wind up with trees growing up through the floorboard?

Don

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good question but might have to leave off the Dino's. I would venture to bet that we have some math experts here who could create a formula incorporating production years, units sold, remainder surviving (registered), price in relation to market when new- probably a few other bits of data and then come out with an algorithm that could predict future values based on rarity and percent of survivorship.

I, on the other hand, have trouble helping my kids with 9th grade math, and trust me, they're not taking AP classes.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh, is that the tail pipe exiting behind the rear tire and it looks like there is a second coupe next to it- same color... group buy?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
E9s were driven like regular cars in all types of weather, like BMWs are driven today. Seems a lot of E9s on this board have seen the inside of restoration shop at some point in their lives.

Plenty of Porshes and Jaguar XKEs have fallen by the wayside. We all know Dinos and Ferraris don't rust, they spend too much time in the garage.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
But that is why I bought my E9 30 years ago, because it could (maybe not should) be driven like a regular car. You just have to do the periodic rust repairs in the prone areas every 5 to 10 years. I have been able to drive the car I love everyday and the cost of remedial/ resto work has still been way less than the cost of the 5 cars we have bought for my wife over the same time period. I have to remind her (and myself) of that every once and awhile.