Heater Panel

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thought I would post this here and not in my b35 thread. I disassembled the heater panel, painted it, replaced two tiny bulbs that actually light up behind the words (we'll see if this actually works). I think DeQ has done this as well. Notice the thin removable panel that holds the lights and words.

Paul Cain told me I had a mental block that kept me from tackling the heater and A/C install. He was right, it's a mess of a job, spent four hours on it at least but heater panel is back in with everything behind it. I think everything is tougher if you wear glasses as you can never get the right angle to see clearly, that and big hands, it was tough getting those heater nuts to bolt to the firewall.

IMG_3156.jpg
IMG_3157.jpg
IMG_3158.jpg
IMG_3160.jpg
IMG_3161.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some shots of heater and A/C assembly. It took quite a while to get heater up and bolted in, nothing is easy in our coupes. I removed heater panel/fascia which made it easier to get the A/C unit in, cables from heater are always in the way. Last shot is A/C drain that I modified. You can also see where ECU harness comes through firewall.

IMG_3163.jpg
IMG_3165.jpg
IMG_3166.jpg
IMG_3167.jpg
IMG_3168.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A/C unit install, again it takes some effort to get everything situated. Having a well deserved bourbon and seven before dinner.

IMG_3170.jpg
IMG_3171.jpg
IMG_3172.jpg

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A/C unit install, again it takes some effort to get everything situated. Having a well deserved bourbon and seven before dinner.

I'll second that.
So far that is one of the most tedious jobs I have done on my coupe.
Congratulations Chris.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From the photos above its clear I have illuminated words on the heater panel. Except for units that have icons instead of words, I thought all were illuminated. Not so, Wayne sent me a photo of his 72 and the words are painted, not inserted from behind on a separate panel. The question, when did this change? Edit: sometime during 3.0CS production

image.jpg

Last edited:

srennoc

Reaction score
Heater Control Panel

2/72 build had symbols with & without painted wording
11/72 build was rear illuminated with wording either in English or German

T

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris - any tips on how to remove the plastic circular retaining tabs that hold the vent in place ?

Stefan

Reaction score
Since the AC was only an rare option and not many produced for European market E9's.
I guess the AC controls in the heater panel would only be a text and not illuminated words.

I've got btw illuminated text in German at my heater panel, guess means no national options from the original when export to Sweden.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Throughout the years, some of these rear lit panels have been retrofitted into coupes that did not have them. I've this illuminated panel myself and plan to install it in my coupe as well. I find it a little more elegant than the symbols or the painted letters units.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine is a 72 Euro with original AC that only has symbols and took me years to figure out (I think) that the center vent control is actually closed when it is left in the middle position.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had my ah **** moment today, when I installed the A/C unit I didn't insert the probe for the temp switch, it's hidden by the upper vent. It all has to come out again, arrgghhh! I told myself ten times not to forget this step. At least it won't impact starting the motor.

Almost there, need to lengthen the fuel pump and run the wire to it, add fuel hose to end of return pipe above rear axle and drill hole into trunk area to run it to the pump. Maybe next week?