superb period correct seat belts from UK

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi

i had very badly worn seat belts, so for some years i tried to find a new set everywhere, but the seat belts that I was founding were no good, most of them made in china, or very expensive NLA+NOS ones usually only or RH or LH, but never both altogether

...until i found these people located in the UK three months ago

an incredible set of period correct inertia automatic seat belts with aircraft style chromed buckles (homologated in UK for cars older than 1972)

you choose the colour of the belt within a wide range, and you order them, its 5 or 6 weeks to get them done and shipped to you, kind attention and help from these guys

easy to install,...and not really that expensive (i found a set, made in china, of black plastic seatbelts rh+lh for 278eur+shipping),

...e voilà !

080120084228.jpg

080120084229.jpg

080120084230.jpg

080120084232.jpg

080120084235.jpg

080120084234.jpg

080120084236.jpg

070120084223.jpg

070120084224.jpg

070120084222.jpg

070120084221.jpg

070120084206.jpg

070120084204.jpg

Last edited:

Macka

Reaction score
They look fantastic. I am in Australia and would like to purchase. Can you give me full details of business so l can make contact.

Thanks Damian

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
firm information, contact, and special offer

hi everyone !

i have asked permission to Mr. Pawel to post this here, and he agrees for me to publicly post the information that some of you have requested:

Quickfit Safety Belt Service (Mr.Pawel)
Inertia House
Lowther Road
Stanmore
Middlesex
HA7 1EP
Tel:
Fax:
Email:
+44 (0) 208 206 0101
+44 (0) 208 206 0599
[email protected]

http://www.quickfitsbs.com/

moreover here are his words on a special offer for joint orders:

Hi again,
Please feel free to post all info about the company. Furthermore, if we will get a joint order from club members (3 sets or more), I will apply 5% discount.
Best regards,
Pawel

happy to help, regards

Bwana

Reaction score
They look exceptional! I'm looking for a set too. Except mine are the ones where the inertial reel for the front seat is mounted behind the rear seat, not on the side of the car. A very long belt indeed.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
They look exceptional! I'm looking for a set too. Except mine are the ones where the inertial reel for the front seat is mounted behind the rear seat, not on the side of the car. A very long belt indeed.

if you explain them your configuration,( i recommend some picturrs) they will produce exactly what you need, they are absolute experts in the matter and they are used to any car model, their key issue is that not only they producethe beltw, but they have a workshop to install belts in any car that would like to

regards

Sparky

Reaction score
Are these reels mounted on top of the rear shelf or are they hidden under the rear shelf with the strap coming through the shelf or are they behind the rear seats in the trunk area with the straps coming out through a protective sleeve beside the rear seat bucket?

The shoulder belts on my '71 2800 are non-reel type that are between the rear arm rest and the interior panel. I don't think these are correct design.

Some pictures including one of the inertial reel would be great to help identify possible correct mounting points. When was your coupe built?

Thanks,
Sparky

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The shoulder belts on my '71 2800 are non-reel type that are between the rear arm rest and the interior panel. I don't think these are correct

Yours are correct for a 2800CS, they are fixed. Not until 74 did the shoulder belt have an interia reel mounted in the same arm rest location as yours.

Chris

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did a great job for me

had these guys do belts in a vintage car for me a few years back.
NOT CHEAP (about $550 for a pair), but they did a great job on the car and thoroughly cleaned up afterwards.

Anyway, if you don't mind the prices, I recommend them without reservation.

Sparky

Reaction score
Chris,

So a '74 style belt inertia reel should fit under the arm rest of my '71 without modification of the arm rest or side panel?

I assume the belt should come out between the arm rest and the side panel and is a single belt that continues from the reel to the buckle and back across the lap (left side P/N 72111840327). This coupe gets quite a bit of use so convenience and safety is more important than absolute year correct authenticity although I won't bugger up the hides, wood, headliner or visible steel with incorrect bolt holes. Upgrading to '74 correct belts would be OK if they fit correctly and nothing else needs to be modified.

Does anyone have the total belt length measurement?

Thanks,
Sparky

Yours are correct for a 2800CS, they are fixed. Not until 74 did the shoulder belt have an interia reel mounted in the same arm rest location as yours.

Chris

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
had these guys do belts in a vintage car for me a few years back.
NOT CHEAP (about $550 for a pair), but they did a great job on the car and thoroughly cleaned up afterwards.

Anyway, if you don't mind the prices, I recommend them without reservation.

hi bfeng,

do not know which kind of job they did on your car, but in my case as to the price:

the whole set that you can see in the last pic, of two chrome buckled inertia safety belts in the strip colour of your choice, for 280£+shipment, total 300£

as i said i was comparing with other alternatives,as someone having alist price of 400eur for left hand original NOS seat belt, or a french company offering a fixed design set of black plastic seat belts made in china, for 287eur+shipping

300£ IS A LOT OF MONEY !, right, but when you see the alternatives...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,

So a '74 style belt inertia reel should fit under the arm rest of my '71 without modification of the arm rest or side panel?
Does anyone have the total belt length measurement?

Thanks,
Sparky

what you are intending to do seems a little complicate
have you checked for existing holes with threaded nuts inside in the same position as they are in my car ?
i mean, one in the top waist line near the unexisting B-pillar
another in the vertical of this point, down there, near the floor,
and another one 100mm forward these last one
and a final one in the central tunnel at both sides of the handbrake swiveling point

if the points exist you will see them, because a cut hole will be present in the carpet that gives access to those holes (at least this is my experience)
if you have this arrangement you can install the same seatbelts than me, fast straigth forward, and safe

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had these chaps take my existing interia belts that had become clunky and uncomfortable and using the existing clip and hanging bracket supply me with new reels and belts

100% satisfaction for about £80 per belt from what I recall

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sparky,

The 74 has a unique rear armrest to provide for the belt's exit, I don't know if it can be retrofitted easily. Unfortunately your coupe has no ceiling mounting point either.

Chris

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi from NZ,

Just getting to the seat belt stage down here as well, I beleive my 72 came out with fixed belts only? the top belt fixing being up by the bottom of the windows at shoulder hight

but...

Someone has at some stage fitted inertia belts and mounted the reels behind the rear inside panels behind the doors.

A 3mm steel U shaped bracket has been made to mount the reels on, but after studying this the other night I came to the conclusion that in an accident the reel would twist upwards and just rip out of the car as the bracket is only bolted to thin sheet steel!!

After a bit of thinking I have decided I will keep this set up as it hides the reel nicly, but will modify the mounting to give proper strenght, this will involve fabricating up an extra mount from 3-4mm steel and welding to the top of the sill inside the rear window area, then from this running a steel strap up to the bottom mounting bolt of the reel.

Thank God I discovered this!!

Will post some pics as I go

Kiwi Steve

Sparky

Reaction score
Chris,
In looking at the exploded parts diagram (attached) I don't see a ceiling loop for the '74. Could you post or send me a picture of the '74 rear arm rest and ceiling loop.
Sparky

Sparky,

The 74 has a unique rear armrest to provide for the belt's exit, I don't know if it can be retrofitted easily. Unfortunately your coupe has no ceiling mounting point either.

Chris

Attachments

• 74 3.0CS seat belt.jpg
    74 3.0CS seat belt.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 286

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,
In looking at the exploded parts diagram (attached) I don't see a ceiling loop for the '74. Could you post or send me a picture of the '74 rear arm rest and ceiling loop.
Sparky

Here is my 74 retractable seat belt setup from my 72 coupe. The reinforced mounting holes for the retractable belt reels look factory and don't look modified. Suppose most coupes, if not all, were fitted with these upper mounting holes. On the 74 side armrests, a wide shallow dado the width of the belt webbing is cut into the substrate wood core and then covered with a countoured steel bracket. This feature allows for the seat belts to move freely, thus avoiding binding. Don't know whether the 74 and the earlier years armrests wooden cores are different or not, although from the outside they look identical. With this 74 seat belt setup, the roof mounting holes are not utilized. Also, one of the pics below shows a loop fastened through the side wood trim, this is not a structural mount, it is there to just "hang" the belt while not in used.

P1030373-2.jpg

P1030378-1.jpg

P1030379.jpg

P1030382.jpg

P1030374.jpg

P1030389.jpg

Bwana

Reaction score
Somebody asked what mine looked like, the post above is exactly what I have. Or at least what I started with. It's a bit scrambled right now, a work in progress, so to speak. I've got to locate the hanger hole. One issue with this location is the belt has to be really long to work correctly.

Nice looking, BTW!

Sparky

Reaction score
Thanks all. It's now clear how BMW did this originally.

My '71 doesn't have the upper reel threaded mounting holes but my thoughts today are that a hooded inertial reel such as shown below might fit in the lower hole and the belt snout would slide behind the armrest without too much "adjustment". The snouts come in different lengths or could be trimmed to where it just peeks out into view. I'll see what Autoflug has made.

Bert's pictures show the '74 armrest sits a little farther to the rear at the bottom and a little higher at the top, thus giving a wee bit more clearance for the reel. The armrest mounting bracket at the top is different (see my '71 armrest picture) as is the profile clearance around the reel but these adjustments in mounting could be easily done without being apparent when installed. I'll get a reel and see how much space is actually required. I notice in Bert's third and fourth pictures the screw hole for the original upper armrest mount is evident.

Thanks again,
Sparky

Attachments

• '71 2800cs armrest.jpg
    '71 2800cs armrest.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 316
  • seat belt reel boot with sleeve.jpg
    seat belt reel boot with sleeve.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 299