A Tale of Two Wheels

bcoli

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been a lurker for the past year (since we acquired our 1970 2800cs), but am now starting to move forward with the project (Don is building an engine & 265 for us).

Our car came with two sets of wheels and I would like to know more about them. Is one better than the other? Original? Bad? Wrong?

Also, what's the best way to re-finish them? I read something about Krylon vs powder coating...

Thanks for your help,
Bill

Attachments

• Wheel 1.jpg
    Wheel 1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 290
  • Wheel 2.jpg
    Wheel 2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 266

tmason

Reaction score
Hi Bill and welcome to the Forum.
The wheel's that came with your car are 14" and there aren't very many tire's that size that work.If you are going with an engine upgrade you should look for 15" or 16" rims to match the performance.CoupeKing sell copies of staggered Alpina's which to me they look the best on our cars.(IMHO) Hope this helps and good luck with your project. Tim

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bill,

both wheels were original to the coupe - at different times. the wheel with the chrome lug nut cover is the correct wheel for the 2800cs and early 3.0cs / csi. the turbine wheel was standard on the 74+ coupe. a similar turbine wheel (made by Alpina) was standard to the 3.0CSL.

there are numerous posts on refinishing stock wheels - they typically start with some form of media blasting and then paint. if memory serves, one of the better paints is from Wurth (but might be harder to get). i also remember that Krylon dull aluminum was also a good choice.

good luck, you are in great hands with SFDon for engine + tranny. keep us posted on your progress. presumably you are in the SF area?

scott

Reactions: JDH

bcoli

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you both for your quick replies.

I have edited my settings & signature to show my location & my car; we're in SW Oregon.

Thanks again (I love this board)

aalto

Reaction score
Wheel 1 in your post appears to my eye to be the type I associate with e12 and e21 based cars. The spokes aren't completely straight but deflect outword in the last few inches. The turbine style rims on the 74+ coupes I've seen have straight spokes and look very similar to the 14" alpinas but without the deep lip.
As a result my preference would be wheel 2.
Some like powdercoating but I've found several coats of the silver krylon with a light semi-gloss clear on top be a very durable and factory correct looking finish. Not as durable as powder but much easier to touch up in the future.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wheel 1 in your post appears to my eye to be the type I associate with e12 and e21 based cars. The spokes aren't completely straight but deflect outword in the last few inches. The turbine style rims on the 74+ coupes I've seen have straight spokes and look very similar to the 14" alpinas but without the deep lip.
As a result my preference would be wheel 2.
Some like powdercoating but I've found several coats of the silver krylon with a light semi-gloss clear on top be a very durable and factory correct looking finish. Not as durable as powder but much easier to touch up in the future.

Agreed. Wheel #1 is an e12 or early e23/e24 alloy.
The photo below is a 74 e9/e3 alloy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 249

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Could someone post a similar pic of an original Alpina - would be great to have thread with the several varieties of turbine-ish wheels. Maybe a Coupe King repro too. Then let's link this in tech info...
Paul

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Agreed. Wheel #1 is an e12 or early e23/e24 alloy.
The photo below is a 74 e9/e3 alloy
That really reminds me to paint mine. They look much better with fresh paint on near the lugs.

9CDF65DD-96E7-4839-92F7-7D32CC3DAEC2_zpsf10u9vak.jpg

I was raising the nose to go 4 wheeling if you couldn't tell. :lol:

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Could someone post a similar pic of an original Alpina - would be great to have thread with the several varieties of turbine-ish wheels. Maybe a Coupe King repro too. Then let's link this in tech info...
Paul

CSL Alpina 7x14" set. Much deeper lips compared to standard 6x14" turbine wheels.
14880419711_949b769e82_b.jpg

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
confused...

I guess that my old-pushing-60 head is confused...I really thought that the "ribbed" turbine, that are referred to as e12/e24, were also the design of the factory e9 74/75 wheel (see "photos" section; PaulSoCal 74 csi 62K, about 16 lines down...). The wheels that JMinNJ references (that look somewhat like alpinas), I thought were FPS aftermarket, or optional wheels...I have a set of the ribs, a set of the FPS', a set of Alpinas, and several of the slotted early alloys...have I brain-farted?
Dave in NC
74 polaris 3.0cs
72 arktisblau 3.0csa
72 chamonix 3.0csa parts car

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Original BMW brochure shows 2 of the rims in question.

Late 1976 brochure pic shows the carryover 6x14" turbine rims from the E9/E3.
e24_1976_en_042_zpseb61bd45.jpg

The "ribbed" turbine rims were introduced around 1978/79 for the E12/E23/E24 cars. This photo is from a 1978 6 series brochure.
e24_1982_jp_06_zps8e74ad8d.jpg

Last edited:

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a thought that the jump from 14" rims is necessitated by lack of decent rubber being available...but prices on Michelin XWXs have dropped and the Vredestein Classic option is less expensive still. Both are excellent tires and both compliment the capabilities of the flexi E9 chassis.

I jumped to 16" staggered Alpinas when the price of the Michelins was $150 a corner more expensive then now. To capitalize on the 16" Alpinas suspension mods are mandated which don't come cheap.

IMHO I feel the larger rubber is the superior solution although tire cost will be higher for the quality 14" option. Given the miles these cars will see they will need to be replaced based on age over mileage. Amortize over 5 - 6 years and they are the price performer ultimately over the cost of new rims and suspension mods...even given two replacement cycles.

Media blast the rims (either option), spray them two pack Polaris silver and enjoy.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you both for your quick replies.

I have edited my settings & signature to show my location & my car; we're in SW Oregon.

Thanks again (I love this board)
Bill,

i sent you a PM - on a different subject

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Disappointing thread, with that title I was expecting stories of Che Guevara on a motorcycle through South America :0.

jmackro

Reaction score
Our car came with two sets of wheels and I would like to know more about them. Is one better than the other? Original? Bad? Wrong?

As long as the wheels in both sets are round, then neither are "wrong". Beyond that, this is a highly subjective question.

Your 1970 BMW CS left the factory with the wheels in your photo on the right. In my opinion, deviating from those wheels is sort of like painting your coupe a non-original color. It may look sharp, but it isn't historically correct. And, if you don't respect history, why own a vintage car?

But hey, it's your car, so whatever wheels bring you happiness are "right" for you.

Last edited: