ZF 4hp22 Automatic

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wanted to know if anyone has installed a zf 4hp22 automatic transmission in a Bavaria? Don’t know if it would fit or if bell housing issues or???
Thanks again Tom

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are different models of 4hp22 with different size torque converters and different size bell housings.
The 4hp-XK with the P1 housing is biggest I believe.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I wonder what the smallest or best one is that would possibly fit ?
I’ll keep looking online and see if I can find something with dimension info.

pat cooks

Reaction score
I think most from BMW would fit, the smallest would have been from a 518 M10 or 316 M10 and apart from having a small torque converter the A clutch would have less plates, it would work but might not last too long, you want a simple version with a kickdown cable not the EH electronic type with a 7 or 8 pin plug, there was a version with a two pin electronic plug AND a kickdown cable, that works ok, just ignore the wiring, look for a 4hp22 from say an E28 or E23, should bolt in easily, the bellhousing must be from an M30 engine, an M10 would bolt up but you are back to a smaller converter, I fitted a 4hp22 into my 1972 2002 and drove it for 10 years as a daily driver, worked great, very low rpm at 65-70 mph, I kept the 3 speed shifter, who needs to be able to shift it back to first?