WTK shipping options on diff

Bob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello want to know
Whats the best option out there for shipping a diff?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello want to know
Whats the best option out there for shipping a diff?

I shipped a set of steel wheels from Pacific Grove to Maine via Fedex at Kinko's last fall. From Maine I've shipped transmissions & other awkward shaped things through UPS. Fed Ex Ground & UPS have similar rates for both packing & shipping.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't yet shipped a diff for the e9's but I've shipped many for the '02's. Use a Rubbermaid Heavy Duty storage container of the right size to hold the diff and some thick foam padding on all sides. Surround the diff with the foam padding making sure it can't move. That is the single most important technique for shipping any heavy item-- secure it so that it is immobile inside the container. I've even used milk crates for the '02 diffs. See pics.

Attachments

• Differential Shipping Box (1).jpg
    Differential Shipping Box (1).jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Differential Shipping Box (2).jpg
    Differential Shipping Box (2).jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Differential Shipping Box Action Packer 8 Gal.jpg
    Differential Shipping Box Action Packer 8 Gal.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Milk Crate shipping edited.jpg
    Milk Crate shipping edited.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 150
  • Milk Crate shipping.jpg
    Milk Crate shipping.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 156

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I shipped a 210mm large case LSD to diffsonline not long ago. Built a robust custom "crate" to hold it and secure it tight inside. Very heavy, but it got to where it was going. Important to make sure the unit is drained and dry. Nothing interrupts a shipment's travels more than a puddle dribbling out of a seam of any carton. :cool:
B58FD212-C5A2-4747-BB4C-BC68711528C2_1_105_c.jpegC1055654-C876-4789-9465-4C858FF46C33_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: Bob

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FedEx is happy to ship diffs but will not box it for you because the weight exceeds the bursting strength of their boxes.
I pack in a plastic container lined with cardboard and stuffed with packing material.
Cost is about 100 bucks unless you have a commercial account which is much cheaper

Reactions: Bob

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Get an account. You save almost 20%.

I'm no commercial enterprise, but it's fast, easy, print off labels at home, drop off at any FedEx store.

Heavy/big items, you may not be able to drop off at say, your local Walgreens

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ups, in a black storage tub from home depot. Less than a $100 cross country. That is direct at a UPS depot not through a mail store franchise. Buy a sheet of construction foam and put a layer on the bottom of the tub and pack the rest around the diff. You can screw the top down with short sheet metal screws. I put 1x2 around the upper perimeter of the tub, screw it it in from the sides, and then screw the top to that. I have shipped at least a dozen diffs and trannies like that and there has not been a problem. The tub and foam will cost you about $15 Franchise store will hit you for at least $140