WTB / Where to find plastic tube for tank vent

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am looking for a source or suggestions as to what folks have used to replace the blue hard plastic tubing that connects the fuel tank to the vent overflow tank. This is the same type of tubing that runs all the way to the front of the car for the charcoal canister.

Thanks
Drew

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hummmm

Thats a thought
i installed the 323i intank pump with a return line to,the
injector rail so i guess your right i dont need mine anymore
nor the canister as its for smog only whic\h we no longer need
from 74 on. Yae

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am looking for a source or suggestions as to what folks have used to replace the blue hard plastic tubing that connects the fuel tank to the vent overflow tank. This is the same type of tubing that runs all the way to the front of the car for the charcoal canister.

Thanks
Drew

Drew.......how are you? We met at C&C at Enderle a little while back. How is the car coming along? I'll check your build thread but don't remember seeing much lately. I pulled one of those out of a Bavaria a little while back. I'm pretty sure I still have it. I'll check when I get home tonight. It's yours if I can find it.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Drew, I have a coil of that from the blue e9 that I took off. if Golf doesn't have one just let me know, should have looked while you were here :-(

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
A rose by any other name...

The emission from the tank is very small but if it all environmentally conscientious one would keep it connected. ;)

I'm not sure quite how the factory setup my 1970CS is supposed to be as far as the tank vent goes. There's an empty grey container on the wall on the right side of the trunk, it's got a hose that leads forward, but is only a foot or so long and just stops, with an open end. The container itself is cracked. No surprise that my trunk smells gassy.

I want to put in some kind of charcoal cannister and a line to the air cleaner with a solenoid that opens when the car is powered. That should keep the smell contained and then burned in the engine. If I can find a used setup from a newer car, I'll use that, but I've also found a stainless steel cannister that I can use to make my own. Activated charcoal is pretty cheap.

Ian

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our 70 2800 has no charcoal can but it has the plastic tank. The filler nozzle should have a short braided hose to solid plastic hose to braided hose under the holding tank. The forward end of tank has the braided hose to the blue hard plastic hose all the way to the engine bay where braided hose connects on underside of air filter. It has just enough suction that if hooked up should never leave a gas smell in the trunk or cabin.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hmmm
I want to know why you need it

Well, I want my tank to not build up pressure in the heat of Texas (not to mention the heat that I recently discovered is migrating from my exhaust into the trunk and fuel - but that is another story).

Basically, on my recent "shakedown" trip in the Bav over to Austin to visit with Peter, we noticed the trunk had the characteristic gas smell. Upon further inspection, it appeared that the vent line was building up fuel vapor/fuel condensate and instead of just "passing gas" to the forward charcoal canister, it was seeping from the vent line connected to the fuel filler neck. Looks like that plastic vent line connecting the fuel filler neck to the plastic tank in the trunk has an abrasion hole in it where it rests on the trunk floor.

So...that is why I need it. I need one that does not have a hole in it...so I just need the shorter one that fits in the trunk. Or some suitable substitute.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Every car I do gets a piece of blue hose from neck through trunk floor to outside.
Use a grommet
About 2' long