WTB Perfect Petri

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
That wheel would be over $6000 AU landed here including taxes.

For the money I think I'll make my own as, I suspect, some of the ones offered for sale have been.

Got a quote from my steering wheel guy and he said $500 - $600 to wrap in premium leather. Buy some stock, shape and weld, chrome, nickel plate or simply paint, cover and hey presto one CSL Petri-ish homage for $1200 plus or minus. And I think it would be fun to make.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you care the correct stitch pattern is cross hatch not baseball style.

nyccsi

Site Donor
Reaction score
1581796333252.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the black one isn't the same ... the e9 one - no hub / wrong horn button / looks like a 35 cm wheel.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
That wheel -
www.ebay.it

BMW e9 Petri Steering Wheel new old stock Lenkrad e10 2002 alpina CSL | eBay

does look small.

What is the finish material for standard Petri wheel spokes. It seems to tarnish in a copper verdigris fashion. It's not paint because it polishes quite readily, however I think that whatever it is it's thin, and dare I say, rather say poorly applied. And the machining marks are very evident on the edge of the spokes. On a Nardi they are eliminated.

Seems to me that a high quality exact match painting of the spokes would alleviate the problem of tarnishing which would mean I could fill the dints with solder, ( or sodder as you Americans say ), or filler, sand back, prime and paint.

Before there are shouts of horror and outrage paint is strip-able and solder can be sweated off. It's more important to me to be looking directly at a fine wheel, not some pitted disappointment.

Just considering options.

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There is still hope for a Petri in very poor condition.
There are 2 options. The first option is a lot of work. Sand the spokes completely bare ( including removing the copper layer ) and polish the bare steel.
The second option is fairly simple. Paint it black :)

1557426095842.jpg
1558362398210.jpg

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah, so it is copper coated mild steel with a ( thin ) satin chrome finish - yes?

If the right side pics show polished bare steel then you are going to get rust.

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ah, so it is copper coated mild steel with a ( thin ) satin chrome finish - yes?

If the right side pics show polished bare steel then you are going to get rust.

Yes it is.

Everything will rust, even a new Petri steering wheel.
It is important that it is well maintained, so clean it and polish it regularly, or add a clearcoat.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A black petri?!

This is a very desireable VW Petri. I wouldn’t sacrifice it for a BMW install. There a many different types of black Petri wheels. The CSI sport wheel is a Petri, as is the 2002 Turbo wheel.