WTB Master cylinder

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
My brake master cylinder gave up the other day, like to buy a REAL good used one, rebuilt or if someone is ordering from W/N I would help with shipping cost. Thanks in advance Joe

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just pulled a known good master cylinder off my 1980 633csi which has the same big vacuum unit. Realoem shows that part number 34311120832 is used on both a 3.0cs as well as the series 1 E24. Let me know if it would work for you. I bought this car as a driving car with no mechanical issues and can confirm no leaks and good brakes.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks WISE9UY, Mine is a 71 2800cs, does it work for sure?
If it works a couple of pics please, Thanks Joe

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All replacement brake masters are cocked 45 degrees towards the fender requiring you to bend the metal supply line a bit and you may need to flatten the ridge in the upper right corner of pedal box opening in firewall.

Last edited:

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks WISE9UY, Mine is a 71 2800cs, does it work for sure?
If it works a couple of pics please, Thanks Joe

I have a 1970 2800CS so can compare it to that. Neither of the items are in the one location or at my home lol so give me a couple days.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
No problem WISE9UY,
Chris I am confused, what does a brake master has anything to do with the Pedal box opening? Please explain

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
No problem Chris, Its just that I am already thinking brake master headache, now a 45 degree brake master and pedal box work?
that confused me more than I already was!

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
2800CS is different, owing to the fact that it has rear drums. The rear fluid output is a different size to accommodate the residual pressure valve. That makes it identical to a 2002tii master cyl, as it is the larger 23mm bore size and also has rear drums.

All that said, I have one on hand. It's all in pieces and in good condition internally. I have enough good used seals to put it back together, or it can be done with the new kit from BMW. I'd sell it either as-is, or rebuilt used, or rebuilt new. Your choice.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I finally compared the one I took off a 1980 633csi with that on my 2800cs and they appear the same. @Layne do you mean to say that the rear fluid output connection is larger? I will have to take a closer look then. The number of outputs, position, overall length and attachment appear the same.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Layne do you mean to say that the rear fluid output connection is larger? I will have to take a closer look then. The number of outputs, position, overall length and attachment appear the same.

Yes. On the 3.0cs MC, all ports are 10mm. On the 2800CS/2002tii one, the rear output is 12mm (I think) to accommodate the residual pressure valve. I imagine you could adapt it down to 10mm, but probably not the other way.

IMG_1780[1].JPG

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes. On the 3.0cs MC, all ports are 10mm. On the 2800CS/2002tii one, the rear output is 12mm (I think) to accommodate the residual pressure valve. I imagine you could adapt it down to 10mm, but probably not the other way.

Thank-you for taking the time to post the comparison. I will get in there and take a closer look with a mirror. It is good to learn these differences :) The one I have is like the one on the right.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting. The change in MCs however occurred when the booster went from thin pancake style to the thicker fat booster during the 73 MY at 2240222 and 2250146 for the US and 2262256 for CSi and June 72 for CSLs. The Parts Book does indeed show the 12mm screw/plug on the early Masters only. For fun I checked the e3 MC and it is different from both but has the same bore as 3.0CS at 22.2mm while 2800CS is 23.81mm.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
you are right Layne, mine looks like the one on the left, but there is only a reduction from 8mm size hole to 6mm line.
Are the internal parts the same and Let me know what you would like to get for yours?