WTB: E9 Front Panel aka. Chin Spoiler

DTS

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone have a space E9 Front Panel/Chin Spoiler that they would part with?

PN#: 41331807125

The coupe is in bodywork/paint in LA (Orange County) and the original chin spoiler should be replaced.

Any leads please PM me.

Thank you,
DTS

24f5a4a3399ac0476b9d276513195193.jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a used one, but it is in the Netherlands. other options closer by are likely more sensible....
edit: I don't have it anymore. I forgot I sold it locally some time ago.

Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
be aware by the way that two versions of this part exist. For the purists amoung us: The chin has 6 sets of slots; the ones furthest to the outside; next to the bumper mounts are different.
- the first version (<1973?) has the normal slot length (edit: pic added)
- the later version (>73) has shorter slits on the end.

Attachments

• 20181011_224215.jpg
    20181011_224215.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Eulean

Reaction score
be aware by the way that two versions of this part exist. For the purists amoung us. The chin has 6 sets of slots; the ones furthest to the outside; next to the bumper mounts are different.
- one version has the normal slot length
- the other version has shorter slits on the end.
Erik, do you happen to know the change-over point? I have an early E9, build prior to 12/72, that I know has had a nose replacement at some point. It has the same narrower outer slots as a late bumpered chin spoiler. Should it have the equal length outer slot lengths? RealOEM is showing only one p/n with date range 12/68 - 11/75

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Erik, do you happen to know the change-over point? I have an early E9, build prior to 12/72, that I know has had a nose replacement at some point. It has the same narrower outer slots as a late bumpered chin spoiler. Should it have the equal length outer slot lengths? RealOEM is showing only one p/n with date range 12/68 - 11/75

The consensus is around 1973. There are lots of early cars with this chin however. Once can only presume that they all had them replaced. This makes sense since it is the most likely victim in a collision, along with the kidney (which also sees lots of variation). I've been looking for period photographic evidence of a late chin on an early car. So far, I've only confirmed that early cars all had the wide slots. I'm mostly looking at 2800CS and CSL's, since both were raced extensively and had no front bumpers. Makes it easy to check.

Eulean

Reaction score
Thanks Markos, I suspect you're right. Replacement noses/chin spoilers from BMW likely had the narrower slots after they tooled up for the big bumper cars. It would be easy for a repair shop to open up the bumper slot for the shock hole. The one in the foreground is the one that was on this early car, the other chin was original and off of a late car.

Attachments

• IMG_20191104_143608.jpg
    IMG_20191104_143608.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 101

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, the slot was shortened in preparation for the 74 big bumper US coupes. It is only available now with the short outer slot.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A NOS chin was delivered to paint shop last week- thanks for your efforts.

DTS

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In other words Don sourced a Unicorn.
Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eulean

Reaction score
Yep, the slot was shortened in preparation for the 74 big bumper US coupes. It is only available now with the short outer slot.
Thanks Chris for the confirmation, what's a little more fabrication right?